Help need re NSW South Coast site

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Help need re NSW South Coast site

Postby rachlou » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi campers. I am looking for a good camping area on the NSW South Coast for a trip in Oct/Nov I am doing with my extended family (age range from 1 yr old to 72 old). We will have two dogs, would like to be near the beach, and not too far south. We usually like a natural setting and would normally stay in a state reserve because of the dogs, but because this time we'd like to be near the beach, I know there won't be a state reserve with beach access. So the two places we are looking at are Seven Mile Beach Caravan Park (http://www.kiama.net/holiday/sevenmile/default.htm) and Werri Beach Holiday Park (http://www.kiama.net/holiday/werri/).

I was wondering if:
1) anyone had any feedback on these parks
2) are there any other suggestions for camp spots that meet our criteria. It is not essential we camp right near the beach - we could accept being a short drive away!

Thanks in advance!
rachlou

Re: Help need re NSW South Coast site

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Sorry I'm a Qld'er :grin: have you tried the search at the top, it works quite well by key word or park/location. There is a lot of archived stuff in there just needs a little digging out sometimes. :beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby rachlou » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks - will give it a go. I couldn't find the search functionality initially but now I see it. :grin:
rachlou

Postby Redback » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 am

Shallow Crossing is on the Clyde River about 25min drive to the beach, it allows dogs, it's the dogs that will stop you camping on or near the beach on the sth coast as most of the coast now is either private property or National Park.
Shallow Crossing
http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~camping/default.htm

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Teabag » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Redback wrote:Shallow Crossing is on the Clyde River about 25min drive to the beach, it allows dogs, it's the dogs that will stop you camping on or near the beach on the sth coast as most of the coast now is either private property or National Park.
Shallow Crossing
http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~camping/default.htm

Baz.

When we lived in Canberra we used to frequent Shallow Crossing and thought it was a great spot and the bonus was we could take our dog.....As Redback as said, you are very limited on where you can go near the ocean wrt camping with pets but Shallow Crossing would be a good, close option. I have attached some pictures. Also Jim the owner is a top bloke who is very friendly/casual.......

Camp Ground.....

Up Stream at the crossing....

The Crossing which is next to the camp ground....

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby rachlou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:02 pm

It looks beautiful. Thanks for the tip and thanks for the photos. Unfortunately for this trip it might be a bit too far south for us (my elderly parents are coming from mid-north coast so we've decided to go no further south than Nowra). I am going to pass this on to my brother though who is always looking for good, dog-friendly campgrounds in a natural setting. Thanks again.
rachlou

Postby Redback » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:13 pm

rachlou wrote:It looks beautiful. Thanks for the tip and thanks for the photos. Unfortunately for this trip it might be a bit too far south for us (my elderly parents are coming from mid-north coast so we've decided to go no further south than Nowra). I am going to pass this on to my brother though who is always looking for good, dog-friendly campgrounds in a natural setting. Thanks again.

Sorry apart from a state forest with no facilities, i can't think of any place on the coast between Wollongong and Nowra, that will allow dogs.

Baz.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby rachlou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 pm

No facilities is not the end of the world. I was just looking at Wingello State Forest near Bundanoon, but probably still too far from the beach. I don't know how well you know the area, but are there any state parks you know of around Berry or that general area? I have been doing some research but can't find anything. Thanks for your assistance Baz.
rachlou

Postby Redback » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 am

Sorry, can't help, not around Berry, places i know are, Jellore SF, Belanglo SF, Wollindilly River Station.

As for Wingello, i've never found anywhere in there worth camping at.

Most of the best places are either near and around Nowra or past it, that you can take dogs.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby garbage » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Killalea State Park near Shellharbour may be a goer. It's walking distance to the beach.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby rachlou » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Thanks Baz for tip re Wingello. That will save us a trip. And thanks Garbage for suggestion of Killalea - but I don't think they allow dogs. I think we'll be heading for one of those two caravan parks near Gerroa. Really, I can't complain! :grin:
rachlou

Return to Camping Tips and Locations