SE QLD and Northern NSW - Camping Itinerary Help

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

SE QLD and Northern NSW - Camping Itinerary Help

Postby kalouise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 am

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some suggestions for a camping trip we are taking in a few months (as the weather warms)... any suggestions for the following itinerary? especially good camping spots in these areas?

1. Girraween or Bald Rock or Sundown etc. with small children? which would be our best spot? (we are tenting)

then down to

2. Glen Innes - fossicking? any good spots in the area?
then

3. Armidale and the Waterfall Way / Dorrigo - where is the best spot for camping along this route?

4. Across to Coffs Harbour area - looking for suggestions?

and finally up to

5. Iluka ??

Thanks! :grin:
kalouise
Boy Scout

Re: SE QLD and Northern NSW - Camping Itinerary Help

Postby Troyk » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 am

Welcome to the forum :grin:

I did a report on Girraween a while back and you will find it here.viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2127.

Some of the walks at Giraawen require a moderate level of fitness so you might be inhibited at what you can do with small kids.

There is another park at Sommerville Valley but its about 30km (at a guest) from Girraween. Bald Rock Boonoo Boonoo, and Sundown are probalby less developed with regards to campgrounds, and you may need a 4wd to get full value.

Dorrigo, I have camped at Cloud's Creek (about 15 years ago) which was nice but that was when i was doing postgrad studies at UNE, and I had a feeling the uni owned the ground. All I can really remember was the lecturer making mulled wine! I don't think you can camp in Dorrigo NP itself though.

On fossicking at Glenn Innes, a friend of a friend of mine was devloping a campground on a fossicking park near Copeton Dam. I'll chase some details and psot them up.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby amanda » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:55 am

For the Iluka leg your best bet would be Woody Head Camping Ground (6k's north of the town). This is from their website:

Location: 6 km north of Iluka, on the seaward side of Iluka Peninsula.
Getting there: Turn off the Pacific Highway onto Iluka Road, 35 km south of Woodburn. The route includes unpaved roads, suitable for standard 2WD cars.
Campsites are suitable for: caravans; camper trailers; camping beside your vehicle.
Facilities: Drinking water, flush toilets, amenities block, hot showers, picnic tables, wood barbecues, firewood supplied
More details: Woody Head offers a superb unspoiled seaside panorama, stretching for 28 km to Evans Head. There is a kiosk, plenty of picnic sites and beach access points nearby, and there's a boat ramp at the camping ground. You can go fishing, snorkelling or look for interesting sea life on the rocky platforms and shallow reefs. Discovery activities are also regularly held. All sites are unpowered. A group camping area is available, with an under cover area and fireplace. Amenities are wheelchair accessible, and there are free outdoor wheelchairs available.
Fees: $14.00 per adult per night, $7.00 per child per night. Annual pass or daily vehicle entry fee of $7 also required.
Bookings: Bookings are essential. We start taking bookings for the NSW/Queensland summer school holidays on 1 March. For other times of the year you can book up to 12 months in advance. Ring the campground office for more details.

Here's a couple of photo's I took when I was there in May.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:56 pm

If in Armidale, Styx River is a great place too camp, it's off the Waterfall way.

Are you driving a 2WD or AWD/4WD, this will depend on which way in cause there's access for either.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Return to Camping Tips and Locations