Gheerulla Camp Ground, Mapleton Forest Reserve, anyone been?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Gheerulla Camp Ground, Mapleton Forest Reserve, anyone been?

Postby Hippie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:23 am

I found a camping ground, Gheerulla, via Mapleton, Qld and quite like the sound of it. Only 3 camp sites at this particular spot and it sounds quite charming. I was wondering if any one had been there and their comments on it. Love to hear from you. :grin:
Hippie
Boy Scout

Re: Gheerulla Camp Ground, Mapleton Forest Reserve, anyone been?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Hippie wrote:I found a camping ground, Gheerulla, via Mapleton, Qld and quite like the sound of it. Only 3 camp sites at this particular spot and it sounds quite charming. I was wondering if any one had been there and their comments on it. Love to hear from you. :grin:

Hi Hippie, do you happen to know if it is pet friendly??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Hippie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi Gypsie Lady, Not sure if it is pet friendly. Not something I look for though as our dog gets very car sick so doesn't come with us. I plan to check it out in a couple of weeks and will post a review. I do know that you are allowed contained fires, there are toilets but no showers. The fact that there are only 3 camp sites really appeals to me. You could take two other families and book the camp ground out. Do some bush walking, a few drinks around the fire after dinner, just doesn't get any better! :+
Hippie
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 am

Is this the same one Hippie??

Gheerulla Creek, Mapleton Forest Reserve – ph 07 5446 0925
Getting there
Mapleton lies between Nambour and Kenilworth, about two hours’ drive north of Brisbane. To reach the Gheerulla camping area and trail bike area, turn off the Eumundi-Kenilworth Road at Sam Kelly Road, 6km east of Kenilworth. The camping area is 2km off the main road.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm

Hippie, bear in mind that Gheerulla is used for trial bike riding, if that thing puts you off.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Hippie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi Gypsie Lady, Yes that is the one. TroyK, thanks for the tip about trial bike riding. Something I hadn't thought about. But it makes sense as the description of the camping ground was dirt.
Hippie
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Well then Hippie it is pet friendly.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby lisa_h » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

Lovely spot, except you will have trail bike noise all day. So great location if this does not bother you.

And even though the ground is described as dirt, it was very rocky too. We bent quite a few pegs and gave up with the tarp. Lovely part of the world though.
lisa_h

Return to Camping Tips and Locations