Camping for the disabled

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping for the disabled

Postby amanda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am

Hi everyone

Hoping someone out there has experience with this, as it's all new for me. I have a friend who has had both legs amputated just below the knee, and after 8 months of hospital and rehab she is finally ready to head home and start living again. Prior to this happening she often came away for weekends camping, and she has expressed the desire to go again and I would love to help her out.

Does anyone have any tips for making life easier for someone who is wheelchair bound when it comes to camping, or any campgrounds that have good facilities to cater for them (northern NSW or SE Qld)?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Camping for the disabled

Postby Beagle » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Try this web site

http://www.caravan-parkfinder.com.au/pa ... lcome.html

I have more info at home. I will dig it up and post it also later (I have a disabled daughter)
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am

This may help, great to her still keen to get out there.
Most caravan parks have disabled facilities now, i think it's even required by law now.
http://www.pleasetakemeto.com/australia/queensland/gold-coast/accommodation/caravan-and-camping

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Beagle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:02 pm

A lot depends on the type of disability a person has. My daughter is profoundly disabled as she can not stand or walk and requires total support. bathing her is the biggest problem. Some parks have disabled facilities within the ladies and/or mens. These are no good to us as we require facilities where both my wife and myself can attend to our daughter and there are not that many of these. Some of the parks are good if you ask them as they will close off a unit for us so we can both attend to our daughter. Additionally the space within the shower area can be a problem. Further more it is much easier with a hand held shower and again many have fixed shower heads. Gradually facilities are improving and dont be afraid to ask at each park.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for that Beagle - as I said this is totally new for me, and to be quite honest I'd not given much thought to showering, so thank you! I imagine she would manage in the shower if we took her commode chair with us, providing of course the shower recess was flat and accessible for a wheelchair. I think before the first time we go I'll visit the park earlier to double check all of these types of things. I'd hate to get there for her first trip, and discover problems as far as accessibility to amenities etc., as I don't want her to be discouraged in any way and want the first attempt to be a pretty good one so that she feels it's something we can do a lot more of.

As far as sleeping arrangemnets go, I was thinking it would perhaps be best for her to be on a frame-style mattress to make it easier to get in and out. Do you have any other ideas/suggestions for sleeping?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Beagle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Yes. A frame style will be easiest. We bought an Oztrail collapsable bed with an air matress and is just the shot.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Great - I already have one so will use that.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations