How much are you prepared to pay to camp?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

How much are you prepared to pay for a camping site per person per night?

Has to be free
3%
$4.85 (QNPWS rate)
14%
$8
31%
$12
33%
$16
3%
$20
11%
$24 and greater
6%

Total votes : 36

How much are you prepared to pay to camp?

Postby Troyk » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:10 am

Ok, how much are you prepared to pay per adult person per night to go camping?

Lets assume that the campground has all the facilities, to eliminate the value for money issue, and the site is unpowered.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: How much are you prepared to pay to camp?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:45 am

I presume you are asking what the MAXIMUM fee is that you are prepared to pay Troy??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:01 pm

gypsylady wrote:I presume you are asking what the MAXIMUM fee is that you are prepared to pay Troy??

Yes. Whats the point where you say no, either i can't afford it or its just too much money to pay to camp.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Goodo, thanks Troy.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby TBF » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 am

I recently stayed in a caravan park at Biloela.
Wasn't the prettiest, but it was powered and had a clean ensuite with the site.
Cost me just $23 a night for 2 out of holidays.
It was probably the best value park I have stayed in.

Girraween National Park would be the best value NPWS campground.

You gotta love those hot showers

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:40 am

Obviously the cheaper the better,but for a well set up camp ground i would pay up to $20 anything above that i think is a bit much, lets face it a hot shower for one isn`t going to cost the much,most campers have their own gas stoves etc . I think non powered sites should be way cheaper.No one seems to give discounts for singles which i think $5 off would be good.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:57 pm

That is why I personally like the per person fee.

I also tend to stay away from places that charge for the canine family to camp as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:40 pm

I think $12 (I accidentally hit $8) is enough.
Though it depends. If your talking about Caravan parks - then obviously more. But camping in a camp ground at a state or national park then $12 per person is more than ample.

I'll pay more when I start to see results from my money - other than 100,000 hand out leflets for no reason.
Also upto date websites (that are easy to navigate) with easy to read maps giving detailed information for what facilities are available and what charges apply.
The number of times I've gone to a camp site with "free" camping only to be hit up for the camping fee when i've arrived. Or camping fees that have significantly increased with NO information on the website.

I find if pretty poor the information give on camp grounds when you concider we live in a day and age where you can google an address and get a photo of the front of the premises yet getting accurate and upto date information on camp grounds is neigh on impossible.
Also the number of times I've camped at camp grounds and had discussion with rangers who want to do things to maintain the park - but the purse holders say no. Yet theres blatant waste of money in other areas of the park.
If they maintained the sites properly (proper drainage, grading of the roads occasionally and levelling the sites etc) then people wouldnt take matters into their own hands and damage the park grounds trying to set up caravans and camper trailers and to a lesser extent tents.

OH and fire places - particularly winter fire places. Some camp grounds have move able fire places. During winter they should be moved closer to the areas people are camping - this would put an end to the number of fires lit illegally in camp grounds (how many times I've seen the ranger take to peoples illegal fireplaces with a bucket of water I couldnt count!)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Komodo wrote:I think $12 (I accidentally hit $8) is enough.

Komodo, Its setup so you can change your vote. :mrgreen:

Troyk

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:56 am

A family of 2A & 2C in a van park with power is usually $35-$45, so it's got to be cheaper than that. I selected $4 assuming no discount for kids, however I'd expect them to be a few $ cheaper. Looking at my records for our trip last year, about $10-$15 was common for campgrounds with only a long drop as facilities (didn't have to pay for the views of the Milky Way!). If showers were available, I'd expect prices to be slightly dearer.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 pm

After staying with a group of 12 in the Barringtons a few years back and having it cost us an arm and a leg for an un-powered campsite with no fireplace / firewood and very basic amenities, we decided to stick to State Forests.
They are in some cases much nicer than N.P's and usually not as crowded, and the best bit is the're FREE :?#
It's actually surprising when you look at maps just how many State Forests there are around.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Redback » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:18 pm

mr_grumble wrote:After staying with a group of 12 in the Barringtons a few years back and having it cost us an arm and a leg for an un-powered campsite with no fireplace / firewood and very basic amenities, we decided to stick to State Forests.
They are in some cases much nicer than N.P's and usually not as crowded, and the best bit is the're FREE :?#
It's actually surprising when you look at maps just how many State Forests there are around.

I am with Mr Grumble here, gotta love the free camps of State forest and some NPs that are free, no offence too the QLDers on here but the camping in QLD sucks when it comes too free camping and fees for camping, and some of the camping grounds are way too expensive for what you get, Victoria and NSW on the other hand is quite the opposite, Victoria is probably the best for free camping.

As for facilities, if you are camping in a SF with no facilities, a drive to the nearest caravan park will get you a shower for $5 in most places, it's what we do if we get lazy and are running low on water, while there we top up with food, water, fuel and beer, then back too camp.

But that isn't for everyone though.

I reckon $8 t0 $12 per person is a resonable fee for an unpowered site.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:37 pm

State forrests ROCK.

My only gripe with state forrests is the lack of signage for where you can camp. I've been caught out once camping in a large flat grassed camp ground (which appeared to be marked on the map) only to have a DSE ranger ask us to move to the designated camp ground (about 200 mtrs up the road) which looked nothing like a camp ground! and was also unsigned. The only thing that would have told us it was a camp ground was a drop toilet - which we couldnt see any way coming in to the park at night.

Personally I think we do pretty well - but I think there is a lot of improvements that could be made. And not very costly improvements.
I think things like our old drop pit loos should be upgraded. The newer style drop loos with and external access and ventalation remove the dampness and the stench greatly. Plus most of them are better sealled - thus keeping the creepy crawlies out making them more inviting so to speak - thus detering people from "diggin a hole" instead

Like I said in my previous post a quick grade of some sites in steeper areas and removal of sapplings growing in the middle of camp sites. Plus signage. Most camp sites are on main / ring roads in parks so maintenace and signage of the sites isnt really a massive job to do in the over all scheme of things. More firepits - steel or concrete doesnt matter - but atleast try to encorage people to have a fire in a proper pit rather than starting their own (how many times do you get to a campsite to find half a dozen places where a fire has been lit by various groups)

Over all I find state parks to be pretty good. Still a few improvements would no only help campers - but also would help staff.

Oh I also fully support honesty boxes for camping fees. Some times its a real PITA trying to cross paths with the ranger to pay your money. Though the new system of paying online is pretty good - but seriously - how about a kiosk system at the gate. Not every one has net access - particularly if your on the road and you dont know your next destination. A good kiosk system powere by solar isnt that hard to impliment and I have no doubts that telstra wholesale look after government organisations in regards to NextG internet access to keep all the information upto date. The kiosk could also act as an upto date message board with information about fires and TFB days etc - would the need for the ranger to come past and either inform every one or move a needle on a static sign manually.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Though it depends. If your talking about Caravan parks - then obviously more. But camping in a camp ground at a state or national park then $12 per person is more than ample.

I'll pay more when I start to see results from my money - other than 100,000 hand out leflets for no reason.
Also upto date websites (that are easy to navigate) with easy to read maps giving detailed information for what facilities are available and what charges apply.
The number of times I've gone to a camp site with "free" camping only to be hit up for the camping fee when i've arrived. Or camping fees that have significantly increased with NO information on the website.

I find if pretty poor the information give on camp grounds when you concider we live in a day and age where you can google an address and get a photo of the front of the premises yet getting accurate and upto date information on camp grounds is neigh on impossible.
Also the number of times I've camped at camp grounds and had discussion with rangers who want to do things to maintain the park - but the purse holders say no. Yet theres blatant waste of money in other areas of the park.
If they maintained the sites properly (proper drainage, grading of the roads occasionally and levelling the sites etc) then people wouldnt take matters into their own hands and damage the park grounds trying to set up caravans and camper trailers and to a lesser extent tents.

OH and fire places - particularly winter fire places. Some camp grounds have move able fire places. During winter they should be moved closer to the areas people are camping - this would put an end to the number of fires lit illegally in camp grounds (how many times I've seen the ranger take to peoples illegal fireplaces with a bucket of water I couldnt count!)

X 2 :+
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ponga » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I agree, certainly here in NZ we're a million miles away from the rest of the world when it comes to any kind of internet shopping and particularly frustrating where campsites and accomodation are concerned. It's one of my favourite whinges, because I have become such an internet 'click happy' person, I like to sort my life out from the comfort of my armchair after everywhere is closed and undoubtedly become a more impulsive and impatient person because of it. If I see a website which requires me to print off this form fill it in and post it, I'll move along in an instant to something easier and I'm sure plenty of others must do the same. I want to scream at them, 'for heavens sake get with it people', who wants to be posting blessed forms by snail mail in 2008?

I'm sure the campsites could lift their game and benefit heaps, if they got internet savvy with on-line bookings etc. It wouldn't be hard and I'm sure they would increase their appeal to people travelling from overseas, backpackers etc who need to plan itineraries way in advance. Crikey you can pick and choose a seat on a plane, text to park and all kinds, so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to apply some technology for booking camping spots and let people see where they are going before they book. It would be so cool to be able to check places out on-line and book something last-minute and even more fantastic if you could have a look for yourself, and see what's available, without having to phone around or e-mail and wait for answers.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations