The Gorge Reserve

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

The Gorge Reserve

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 am

Has anyone camped at The Gorge Reserve out near Aratula?? It is pet friendly but I would appreciate comments from anyone who has camped there.

It is hugely popular on long weekends and that is a pretty good recommendation but personal views are a better indication IMO. Thanks.

Cheers Gypsy.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: The Gorge Reserve

Postby TBF » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:48 am

Gypsylady

I went there for a weekend about 12 years ago.
It was great then.
On the banks of Reynolds Creek, I think.
Has a donkey heater and basic cabin onsite as well.
Good walk/scramble up Mt Edwards for those who wish to expend energy.
My recollection is that it gets a mention in the camping in SEQ publication by Bowerman.

cheers
TBF Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks TBF Aart, I have that publication.....somewhere.

I was also looking for more recent info as I believe it has changed quite a bit in the latter years.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 am

We camped there a few years ago the creek had stopped running but there was still a few swimming holes up the far end op the other camp ground . It did have flushing toilets but nothing to write home about . It does have a hot water donkey . Great bush camping spot and cheap . Would I camp there again ? If I had to, but I wouldn't make it a destination.
I may have changed in the last few years but I'd doubt it.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 am

Barby-Q wrote:We camped there a few years ago the creek had stopped running but there was still a few swimming holes up the far end op the other camp ground . It did have flushing toilets but nothing to write home about . It does have a hot water donkey . Great bush camping spot and cheap . Would I camp there again ? If I had to, but I wouldn't make it a destination.
I may have changed in the last few years but I'd doubt it.

Thanks Andy....I wonder why it is so popular then??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 am

Like most popular places, it's easy to get too, close too a large populated town, has basic amenities, 2WD accessable, has water for swimming.

These are the types of places i avoid like the plague, too many feral types playing loud music, kids on minibikes, noisey drunk adults doing whatever they want, because they think it's there right too make a knob of themselves, dropkicks chopping down trees for firewood, driving car in and out of the camping area at high speeds, doing donuts, letting off crackers to all hours of the night, generators going all night, need i go on :twisted: :twisted:

Just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 am

I did not get the impression that this sort of behaviour would be tolerated at The Gorge. I have spoken with the manager there and I am sure she runs a much tighter ship then that.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:13 pm

gypsylady wrote:I did not get the impression that this sort of behaviour would be tolerated at The Gorge. I have spoken with the manager there and I am sure she runs a much tighter ship then that.

If it has a manager looking after things, then that's a different story, these sort of places are good and keep the ratbags away, sorry for my rant, i love my camping, but hate people who go out of the way to spoil it.

Nerum Creek was such a place, very friendly manager, campsites were OK, amenities were outstanding, biggest bloody rabbits i've ever seen :shock: turned out to be Hares :--?

I'd camp there again, if the Gorge is as good as Nerum, i'd camp there.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Isn't that funny...because I personally don't like NCBR, would not choose to go there for camping only if it was an organised event as such.

I am not expecting much from The Gorge but wondered what it might be like. I imagine it will be simply 'bush' camping with the bonus of flush toilets and a hot shower even if it is donkey fed.

No need to apologise for posting your opinion Redback, we all have them and it would be a sad world if we could not share them.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 am

I have decided to have at look at the Gorge Reserve in a few weeks time and will post pics and comments on it when I return.

A good camp to me is just the bush and some peace and quiet and a flusing toilet is a bonus.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am

I have to post this. LMGO....ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENSE to anyone that is gay.I was researching The gorge at Aratula can`t find any info but i found another place at Aratula that state thay are "gay friendly" . NOW is this a nessacary statement to make,are they advertising the fact?? or are they telling straight people to stay away??? best laugh i`ve had all week. :*** :*** :*** If only there was a matching emotive.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:58 pm

That is definitely original PJ.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 am

Why is it so popular ? Because its cheap camping . Don't get me wrong if its bush camping your after but not out in the bush this is the place . They do hire out tubes and old pushbikes and kids like the place ,But I dont think there has been a $ spent on the place for 20 years.
It just doesn't appeal to me .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:15 am

Andy, I especially like a quiet bush setting for camping. I don't need entetrtainment other than the bush and watching others camping. I don't have kids that need entertaining and whilst I like to have a creek it is not essential.

So, will the Gorge suit me do you think??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes , But don't expect anything flash in the amenities department .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations