How did you get into camping?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

How did you get into camping?

Have always gone camping
62%
My partner was into it
8%
Our friends were campers
15%
We were looking for cheap holidays away
5%
Something we saw on tv or read about
No votes
Little voices in my head told me to go camping
10%

Total votes : 39

Re: How did you get into camping?

Postby Franzy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:57 pm

:hello: The first time I remember going camping, was down to Ballina, N.S.W when I was a kid in a 12 ft x 12 ft canvas tent. After that I had a couple of trips to Fraser with a church group during my teenage years, some twenty years ago. Other than that, the family would borrow either grandparents caravan and go for holidays in caravan parks, also twenty years ago. Up until meeting my wife, I had not been camping since then and some friends gave us some money for a wedding present to put towards a tent so we could go camping with them and we have not stopped since then. :grin: :)

:cheers Franzy.
Work always gets in the way of camping. :)
Franzy
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 pm

I was having a bit of a clean up and found this thread and with all our new members & thought it might be worth revisiting.....

No need to worry about the poll (unless you want to)...you can just post your story here...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 pm

I got into camping when I was in my late teens because it was the only way I could afford to travel. Camped with friends in Germany, Denmark and Spain. In little dome tents with hardly any other gear.

Then my now ex and I did a bicycle trip from Ghent/Belgium to Luxembourg and that was the first time I 'free camped'. I'll never forget the night when we set up our little tent in a paddock with long grass and suddenly saw lights coming towards us and just managed to stop the massive mower/harvester from going over our tent!

My first solo trip was a bicycle trip in Ireland. Good memories, even though it rained pretty much every night and the tent leaked. Also gave caravan parks a wide berth on that trip and I still remember some of the wonderful sites I camped at.

Actually that was probably the only time I camped solo. After I came to Oz I went camping with my ex a few times and after we split up I got my dog and then my child. And now it's a very different kind of camping with all our gear compared to when I fit it all on my push bike!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Lin, that must have been interesting, and I love the simplicity.
I cannot remember my first camping experience.
I actually lived for a while in a house with a Earth stamped floor.
We use to sleep down in the paddock next to the river on warm nights.
Maybe that's where it started.
When I was young we spent most of our free time just scrubbing it for want of a better word.
Memories. :***
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am

My very 'first' camping trip as an adult was in the back of an old Toyota Ute and it was a free camp on the side of the road up near Kilarney.....

I was convinced there was an axe murderer living in the shack up the road and consequently packed up in the middle of the night and moved to a more populated area. Spent the next couple of nights in a CP at Peregian Beach….still in the back of the ute though, complete with a small holey tarp, borrowed card table, garden chairs, gas stove and light and little else.

Not sure where my fear came from as being the daughter of a drover I spent many, many nights (years in fact) camped up on the side of the road in the outback.

I laugh about it now....but the fear was very real then.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:28 pm

We started camping when I was a teenager as my Nan won a 5 man canvas tent at the RSL draw one night.

We camped at the Back Creek State Forest with a couple of other families and we used to do a lot of motor bike riding in the forest.

We also went to Kiacatoo fishing and camping.

Didn't get back into camping until about 12 years ago and haven't looked back since.....Great fun for the whole family :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jeni99 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I was in the shops looking for a beach shelter and saw a tent on sale. Impulse buy!

- its inexpensive (other then set-up which is as expensive as you choose!)
- you get to travel and meet people (some amazing people!)
- you get to see wonderful things - man made and natural
- educational - you learn geography, social history, etc
- life skills - learning how to pitch a tent, start a fire, fishing, independence etc
- healthy - lots of exercise in the outdoors, food is better
- better for the environment - no aircon! lol

::)
Jeni
jeni99
Boy Scout

Postby capella_ben » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:23 pm

I did a bit of caming as a kid, but not much really. I did a fair bit when I was in teh warer ski club as we would goto dams for a skiing weekend.

Lately I bought a 4WD and joined a club. They go away camping and 4WDing for the weekend it escellated from there.

The kids love it and that keeps me energised.

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:01 pm

It's always great and heaps more enjoyable if the kids love it too.....makes life soooo much easier. :armsup

Great to hear you are back into camping.....I hear you with the renergised bit...feel so much better after I have been camping for the weekend. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:I hear you with the renergised bit...feel so much better after I have been camping for the weekend. :+

Gawd blimey...I don't....just feel so bl**dy depressed at having to pack up and come home and then go back to work.

Can't wait until it's just one big long camp......surely it has to be soon!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Val n Rob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:10 pm

my memory of camping was when i was a child. Camping then was nothing like what camping today is!! There was no caravan and fridge and all the mod cons. There wasn't even a tent as such, just a piece of canvas tarpaulin draped over the fence and jammed into the car doors to form a shelter. No stretchers, just a mattress for Mum and Dad and a couple of kids, the other two kids slept on the seats of the car! There was no fridge, and I'm not sure how they kept food safe to eat but we never got food poisoning. We ate a lot of seafood and fish. We camped mainly at the beach or river. These were very happy times. Wonderful memories of our camping trips! :P :P :P
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby dea » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:15 am

We did it as kids .. Every 2nd weekend we would pack up and go !! We did alot of waterskiing so was alot of fun .. When my step father wasn't in a mood lol ..we had 4 families that would all go together so lots of kids .. Would do 6 weeks at Xmas time too .. And they are my fondest memories as a kid ..my hubby never did it as a kid but our first trip together was only about 3 months into our relationship then Fraser fir our honeymoon .. Then we had 4 kids in 5 years so didn't do alot then but over last 12 months we have bought our camper and try to get away as much as we can .. Our kids love it so hopefully they will have the same sort of memories I do ..
dea
Camping Oracle

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations