Noosa North Shore

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Noosa North Shore

Postby chrissy82 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 am

Am thinking of booking this place for our first family camping trip. We will just have a big tent and will be setting up on an unpowered site. Has anyone been there before? Whats it like? Are we going to be all crammed in with everyone else or do they have quite big sites? We are booking for 5-8 Jan 09. Thanks guys, looking forward to your answers
chrissy82

Re: Noosa North Shore

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 am

Are you talking about the campground that is now a council campground that was once called Noosa North shore Wilderness Camp??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chrissy82 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 am

Hi gypsylady, thanks for your reply. Umm i have no idea. Im all new to this whole camping thing. Website is http://www.noosanorthshore.com.au
chrissy82

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:16 pm

chrissy82 wrote:Hi gypsylady, thanks for your reply. Umm i have no idea. Im all new to this whole camping thing. Website is http://www.noosanorthshore.com.au

Thanks for the link chrissy82. I checked it out and it is not the same one as I thought, so unfortunately I am unable to comment any on it.

Sorry I am not able to help with that one but am happy to help with any other info you might need, being a newbie.

BTW
WELCOME to the forum chrissy82

Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Al&Sharon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi Chissy welcome to the forum, I havnt been here looks real nice though, but Id bet my bottom dollar that it will already be booked out, for that time as its high peak season and every man and his dog heads noosa and rainbow so yes you will be crammed in. Id try get a booking underway as it really is lovely down that way. If going to tewantin beach take turn off 2 or 3 not 1 as 1 is really soft sand and many get bogged good luck with the booking. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:24 am

I was talking to my son last night about this and it appears that it might be the same one he goes to and it gets very busy during the peak periods, especially xmas and easter.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby double_d » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:31 pm

we have been there twice
it is a nice place with a pool and games room for kids
we took bikes and went riding in the bush
the only thing is lining up for the barge when the weekend is over
you could make a lot of money washing windscreens going up and down the street
the general store is a bit expensive
but probably cheaper than going over on barge for something

but i would go back anyway
would be better with a 4wd so you can go on beach which is a couple of minute drive away

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby ozvanner » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Never to to Noosa North shore, facilities bad, ran out of water, no toilets or showers. No control over the pool, or noise in the park. Very few taps in the place.
ozvanner

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 am

Two very different opinions....how interesting.......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby double_d » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:25 am

ozvanner wrote:Never to to Noosa North shore, facilities bad, ran out of water, no toilets or showers. No control over the pool, or noise in the park. Very few taps in the place.

it has toilets and showers otherwise we would have never went back ourselves

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:22 am

ozvanner wrote: facilities bad, ran out of water, no toilets or showers.

double_d wrote:it has toilets and showers otherwise we would have never went back ourselves

daniel d

Maybe because they ran out of water Daniel is the reason there were no shower or toilet facilities.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby *HappyCamper* » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 pm

We stayed at Noosa Northshore at xmas time.

The place was really good, except we got stuffed around with our bookings, as did a lot of other people. There seemed to be a lot of double bookings but luckily the place wasn't fully booked or there would have been some unhappy campers. The campsites were not marked which didn't make things easy.

We met a few campers that have been visiting the place for years and they had said that the place was going down the gurgler a bit compared to what it used to be. Apparently the carefactor for the place has gone down a bit since going into receivership. All of the organised activities were cancelled.

The toilets/showers were reasonably clean.

Make sure you have money for the return trip for the barge. The ATM at the local store ran out of money and the shop doesn't offer cash out facilities.

Other than that, I'd go back there again. Some decent sized sites, good place for the kids.
*HappyCamper*

Postby scottyboy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:13 am

We went there last Australia Day weekend. Sorry for long story ahead!

I think there are two campgrounds around that area - one thats down a bush track adjacent to the beach (I have heard good things about that one). Then theres the one I think others are talking about here.. the one my wife and kids went to..

I don't like talking negative about business's on line but this may be a warning to others who are looking for a quite camping trip during a busy period!

Friends invited us to go camping last minute and had a spare reservation so we jumped at the chance. My wife actually got there earlier than me ( I had to work and caught train up north coast) and was to start set up camp a little earlier. The caretakers ran out of spots (first concern) and put us down one very far end of the camp. Around night fall I got a call from my wife (I was on the train) she said she was concerned that there was a massive party starting to happen across from where she was told to set up. I thought it cant be that bad - she picked me up form the train and said it was bad. When we got there we stopped in with friends at the top of the campsite - I mean there was a lot of people around making noise etc but it was it was pretty busy (packed) in that area (fair enough) - my friends where worried what I would say when I saw our campsite.... and rightly so.

When we got there - i couldnt believe it - across the track from our tent was a massive party/barbeque of families of about 100 ppl + (I am not exagerating - had a premade long barby of 20 drums cut in half with coals (this is going from a quick scan and memory). The worse part was they had a dj setup - I could see the speakers (over knee height) running off a computer .... and the damn things went well past midnight - loud!! Along with all the noise of a large group people yelling out etc.. Thats what you want when you want to get away from it all!!! And it was not my style music! That night I lied in my bed with my eyes wide open until at least 3 - the worst camp nights of my life! When it all died down - someone then starts up a small cd player in their tent with the same music - my wife just gets up storms over and starts "what the hell are you ..." they said they didnt realise others would hear and turned it off.

When we got up in the morning - same music (played same songs over and over) started up again by the way - we realised the dim witted caretakers had put us in the middle of this massive group!! Went to the people in the office to complain. They basically said "we have had complaints but we cant do much because this group comes here every year - They usually are totally isolated but we couldnt do that this year for some reason" I was gob smacked. I talked to some campers beside us who where part of the group - it was an ex-pat family type group from another country get-togehter - the fact its another country is beside the point. These campers where emabarresed how noisey it was!! I dont know how you could be part of this group knowing there are people camped right beside you who are CAMPING - not partying. The seemed like nice people - families - I am sure there could be some on this forum...

Our friends came over in the morning and helped us pack up (they made us for my sanity) and move to the other side and practically squashed into a little spot vacated for the rest of the trip - it was either that or kill someone!!!

OK a wrap up.
The workers at the site said it was managements fault and couldnt do anything about the situation - I couldnt believe someone would put us there!!!
THere was somone trying to enforce a noise curfew - but it was impossible - basically these people wouldn't turn the music down
Needless to say I aint ever going back there - and warning for anyone here who wants to go there Aussie day weekend!
I nearly gave up on camping there and then.... lucky I didnt!! But I then purposely got setup so I dont have to go to public campgrounds ... and if I do really suss out things like curfews etc and go from advice from others.

As I said I dont like bagging out places - but I dont want others here to go through the same ordeal we did!
scottyboy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:27 am

It is always distressing when this sort of incident occurs and such a pity as this is a nice spot.

I camped for many years at the 'other' campground which used to be called noosa North Shore Wilderness Camp and again the only reason I stopped was because of the management. It was a council owned park.

It did close for a while but I understand it has reopened and is of course under new management and no longer 'pet friendly'.

I often wonder how these places survive under such circumstances. Thanks scottyboy for the heads up on this one.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby scottyboy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am

It is a very nice spot! Nice gum trees, grassed areas with kangaroos, goannas and the kids could feed the lorikeets.....
scottyboy
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations