What's the rule when there is no toilet?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: What's the rule when there is no toilet?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 pm

HGMonaro wrote:On a side note, if you camp near a long drop, check for redback spiders before mounting the throne...

Speaking from personal experience....HG???
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:43 pm

gypsylady wrote:
HGMonaro wrote:On a side note, if you camp near a long drop, check for redback spiders before mounting the throne...

Speaking from personal experience....HG???

I sincerely hope not!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:25 pm

We have found several... and they have all been huge! They obviously thrive in those conditions... maybe the smells attract a good supply of flies!

My youngest son had a close encounter with one and now won't go near a long drop (or any toilet for that matter) without checking for 'nasty spiders'

Here's a except from a previous trip...

"1st action for the day was a toilet stop for Corey. As Mum was checking he'd wiped his bum properly (it's a learning process!) he remarked there was a "poisonous spider under the seat". Glenda checked and there was a Redback spider under the bowl at the front. He must have been eye-balling it from a few centimetres away! Glenda disposed of it with a stick. As the nearest loo was occupied, I went to the other nearby for my morning twinkle. At the back of this one was the biggest Redback I've ever seen, the body of it was over a centimetre long. I thought of attacking it with the dunny brush but decided that might just make it angry so went looking for a suitable stick. Glenda saw me walking around and guessed I'd found another. Later that evening, Glenda found another at the back of the 1st toilet. Any future bush loo visits will be preceded with a spider check. "

On our trip to the Flinders Ranges recently we found a bunch more!

Cheers, Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Your family must have something that attracts them Nige...I have to say in all my years of camping and using some very much out of the way loos I have never come across one redback.

Then again I have never gone looking for them either...maybe on my part...ignorance is bliss:-))

I do look for c.o.c.k.r.o.a.c.h.e.s (sorry, censorship again) though and the reaction if I am unlucky enough to find one is not especially attractive and can be somewhat hysterical.

I refuse to go into the loo until I am presented with the dead body and at what I consider a safe distance:-((

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 am

I've only ever had a problem with a toad attempting to leap out of the bowl once I'd already descended onto the throne. Not sure who got the biggest fright!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:34 am

That sort of thing happens a lot in the toilets at AD Park.....only it is green frogs.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

gypsylady wrote:Then again I have never gone looking for them either...maybe on my part...ignorance is bliss:-))

I would say that would be the case for most... otherwise someone would have squashed the buggers before we find them!!!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 pm

I think even with a Porta loo my gf still wouldn't use it... and with the toilets at camp sites.. the worst thing is when u open the lid and all the bugs fly out haha
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations