Outdoor Setup

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Outdoor Setup

Postby OzeBoy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm

My partner and I are trying figure the best way to setup camp. We've been camping quite a bit but always struggle with the best way to setup camp. Two options we seem to flip between are a smaller tent plus a gazebo type shelter, or a larger tent just on its own with no shelter. Every time we go camping it rains (which we love) but we struggle with the best setup to accomdate this. If we have the smaller tent there's not much room to hangout and keep stuff dry. There's the shelter with stove under it, but if it's raining you're sitting under cover with gumboots on sitting in chair and feeling the cold. Each time we take the shelter all we do is cook under it and feel like we brought it for nothing. Hence why other times we use just the big tent and no shelter but we can hangout in the tent with plenty of room but then what do we do about cooking if it rains? We could take the big shelter but then it feels like we have too much for two people. Kinda self concious just two of us with big tent and shelter. Get my drift? We've been leaning towards just having the big tent but any ideas for cooking if it rains? Do we just put up a tarp or something? Or do we take the shelter and big tent, which feels like the taj mahal for 2 people. We dont have 4wd we just camp with station wagon and tent.

If you camp with a tent what do you do for cooking outside?? What can we do just to have a small covered area for cooking only. Also what do people do when it rains? Do you hang in tent or have an outdoor area setup? Any pics?

Thanks people :grin:
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: Outdoor Setup

Postby amanda » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:31 pm

I take it your big tent doens't have any sort of awning?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby OzeBoy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 pm

How do I upload a pic on my comp to show you our tent and shelter? Do I click browse under 'upload attachment'?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby amanda » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:49 pm

This topic is about posting pics - I've only ever done it using Photobucket. Hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1088
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:40 pm

In my tenting days and even in my camper trailer days now I always use a larger tarp over. It provides coolness in summer, warmth in winter and shelter from the rain.

With both the tent and my camper I use the extra coverage to provide shelter for my kitchen area.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby OzeBoy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Hope this uploading thing works. Here's a pic of our bigger tent and shelter. The kitchen (stove, stand, gas lantern, etc) is placed under shelter. We don't often sit under it, but helps for cooking in the rain. We feel it's too much for two people as we only cook under it. The tent is tall enough for me to stand in it comfortably, I'm 6ft2 and there's plenty of room. The shelter is great if camping with others as it gives us all a place to be when it rains. For just the two of us we feel something else might be better. What are your thoughts? Where do you hang when it rains? If we just use the tent, what options do we have for sheltered cooking?

OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Don`t worry about if others think it`s too much because there are only two of you,i`m only one (plus my dogs) i have a 6 man tent and a 16ft x 20ft tarp,it`s cool in summer and plenty of shelter if it rains,if it is heavy rain or cold i might add a tarp as a side wall as well, if i`m comfy i`m happy AND all that goes in a Getz.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby deberg » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:44 pm

There are 3 of us and we now have a 12 man tent (3 rooms). On top we have a 24x30 foot tarp. Nice on the very hot days in summer and when it rains.

I'm for camping in comfort. It keeps everyone happy.
deberg
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 am

I totally agree with what both PJ and deberg have said, it is about your comfort and what you are willing to do in order to achieve this.

I currently run a 20 x 30 tarp over my camper and I used to run a 20 x 18 over my dome tent. Over the big 2 room cabin tent I used to use, I ran a 9 metre x 11 metre purpose made tarp and it has never been for any more that a maximum of 2 people and a couple of canine kids.

IMO it is less difficult to put up a tarp over than it is to put up a gazebo. I can and have done the 18 x 20 tarp on my own many times...yes it is a bit of a struggle but I can do it and the benefits far outweigh the little effort taken in the begining.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby OzeBoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks for your input everyone. Seems lots of us like space when we camp. I think we'll stick to the shelter and big tent. We both love the space, plus it gives us somewhere when it rains and when it's hot. Now that I know that others like lots of room too, I wont worry about what others think. Happy camping !
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 am

OzeBoy wrote:
Now that I know that others like lots of room too, I wont worry about what others think. Happy camping !

Never worry about what others think or say OzeBoy, it should always be about you and what you feel best about...get out there and enjoy your camping.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ben... » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 am

gypsylady wrote:
OzeBoy wrote:
Now that I know that others like lots of room too, I wont worry about what others think. Happy camping !

Never worry about what others think or say OzeBoy, it should always be about you and what you feel best about...get out there and enjoy your camping.

Great advise, i think alot of people worry what others think or whisper about, once I got over that, camping became a heap more enjoyable.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 pm

Heres some photos of my setup - admittedly you cant really see the tent in any of these photos - but you can see the size of our tarp area. Theres only 2 of us and occassionally Yoshi (our puppy).
Even with that size tarp, which im assuming is similar size if not slightly larger (going by the photos) than your gazebo we find we want more space - im looking at (when funds permit) a larger tarp. We also have a dome tent similar in size to yours. Again I want to eventually get a slightly larger canvas tent (or camper trailer) - but all in due time.
(always gotta be a photo of the food! ;))
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Always go for the big setup, idealy if you can incorperate your shelter with the tent, that's even better, you never know if the weather is going too turn for the worst, nothing worse than sitting in a cramped tent when it's raining :shock:

ours with the extension on, we will soon have walls for this too :mrgreen:

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Return to Camping Tips and Locations