Lamington National Park? Our first camp in Australia!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Lamington National Park? Our first camp in Australia!

Postby TXBDan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Hello everyone!

My gf and I just moved to Brisbane from the US. What a nice city and what excellent weather!

Its inspired us to go camping. I used to go a lot growing up with the family, but its now been over ten years so we're both camping noobs. We have a tent and a couple sleeping bags we got off some friends. We plan to rent a car (don't have one) and drive within 2 hours of Brisbane and do some car camping.

We've done a little research and have tentatively settleld on the Green Mountains in Lamington National Park. What do you guys think about this? Are there any better places in the area? We generally like woodsy forests and mountains, but we're open. Something a little more secluded would be nice. Also hiking from a car parking spot would be fine, almost preferred, by us. But we do need a water source i'd say...

Thanks!!
TXBDan

Re: Lamington National Park? Our first camp in Australia!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi TXBDan and WELCOME ot the forum. I personally can't comment on your choice but I am sure some of the regular members will be able to give some feedback.

Lots of great info to be had here and lots of member will to share thier ideas and adventures.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Welcome TXBDan and Gf,
A lot of the Lamington National Park is wonderful. I like O'Reilly's http://www.oreillys.com.au/ and all those wonderful water falls ( I have a thing for waterfalls lol) and all the birds and bush walks.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:58 pm

The Green Mountains are beautiful,i spent many years there before venturing out to other places.No doubt the walks are spectacular ( many of them i did more than once) and rainforests are breath taking and full of wild life abundant.
Now we have dogs and can no longer camp at these places but i know on weekends this area is over run with tourists often coming in large numbers by bus,i had a few noisy walks with idiot day trippers not giving a damn about the bush,animals and basically showed no respect,30 teenagers all rocking a swing bridge was one occassion.If you can go through the week out of school holidays it is much more peaceful.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby TXBDan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Yikes on the crowds. We're actually going this weekend which is a holiday. hah oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Thats too bad about the dogs. We love our dog, but we had to leave her back in the US with my parents. We miss her like crazy! She's a black and white Aussie shepard mix.
TXBDan

Return to Camping Tips and Locations