Yass to Rockhampton and back

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Yass to Rockhampton and back

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:06 am

Some may have read my post on the introductions page about our 'unplanned' trip where we expected to go to Gladstone and back. Well we did it, sort of. Went further than we expected and had a great time on the road and camping.

4100km on (and off) road over the two weeks was a big ask for both the poor old landcruiser and for us both physically. And a bit of an achievement was that we managed to not run out of LPG. The cruiser is LPG only - an environmentally friendly way to travel. But on the down side LPG is fairly uncommon in parts of western NSW and Qld.

Highlights - lots and lots really. Stopping at the Gilgandra Visitors Centre for a look at the Cooee Marchers museum, for military history buffs. Checking out the Anglo-Australian Telescope at Siding Springs on the way into the Warambungle NP. Camp Blackman is a well set up campsite with flushing toilets, hot timed showers, BBQ area and there are powered sites available.

The hot springs at the 'van park in Moree are worth a diversion. At this stage of the trip we had done about 800km and were hitting our stride with setting the tent up and tearing it down. But the bounce and ride of the Landcruiser made the hot springs a welcome relief. We had a look at Sawn Rocks on the way through. Again a spectacular part of the trip.

From Moree we set off to Biloela. It was the longest and most tiring day on the road so we over-nite vanned at Biloela Caravan Park. Worth a stop at Moonie, one of the earliest oil discoveries in Australia. Condamine, home of the Condamine River and the birthplace of the Condamine Bell. Taroom, home of Leichhardt's tree and then into Banana, where they don't grow Bananas!

We spent the next couple of days bumming around with friends in the Rockhampton area after visiting Mt Morgan and Gladstone.

We then set off for 1770. Rolled into Agnes Water and stopped at the information centre. Asked the girl what we could do/see. She, rather helpfully I thought, pointed us in the direction of the brochures and went back to her emails. Others, like the QPWS Ranger, the guy at the campsite and the lady at the marina were all extremely helpful.

The 1770 campsite is a conveniently located little place that is part van park, mainly campsite. The sign said no vacancy but we asked anyway, and there had been a cancellation and we got a powered site. Great facilities and a handy shop. Being school holidays kids were running through the park and tripping over the guy ropes at night.

A day trip to Lady Musgrave Is was fantastic. We then 4WD-ed it out of the area through the Deepwater NP on our way down to the family and friends part of the trip, where things became far less interesting. LPG became far more available south of Bundaberg and lots of stress went away.

Our last interesting overnight stop was at Arakoon Campsite, in the shadows of Trial Bay Gaol. We arrived just before the NP office shut and got a site. We also booked into a tour of the gaol. Afternoon was a bit hectic - 4:20 arrive, 4:35 start setting up tent and parts of the campsite, 4:50 toilet break, 4:55 go to tour... Again great facilities but I do object to being charged for a shower when I have paid a park entry fee and a camping fee.

The ranger explained that it was to prevent people washing surfboards in the showers...

Next day a 'speed run' to Sydney to see the in-laws, the next day back to home via Thirlmere Lakes NP.

Not a bad was to spend 14 days...

I am share some pics after resizing them if anyone is interested.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Re: Yass to Rockhampton and back

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 am

really enjoyed reading your trip report kev, seems like you had a great 2 weeks, how did you get over the running out of lpg , must have been so worrying.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Kev on a really great achievement and especially for NOT running out of LPG.

I would really love to see the pics and am very pleased to hear the cruiser performed well.

I agree the hot thermal waters at Moree are a real treat and glad to hear that you made them a part of your trip.

I am also with you re paying to camp somewhere etc and then having to pay for a shower on top of it.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Yass to Rockhampton and back - photos added

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Alan

We didn't have a plan for running out of LPG, other than ring the NRMA or RACQ for a tow! Fortunately it didn't become an issue. Mind you LPG is not really an option for 'outback' travel, at least not with the current tank arrangement. If a second tank was installed it might be an option.

Gypsy - it did perform well, and we were glad for the stop off at Moree as well.

Some pics below of the trip.

Kev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Hey Kev, I am even more impressed...your 60 is the same colour as both the one I have and the one my son has.

Great old work horses, they are.

Yes Moree's hot springs are definitely a 'must' if you are in the area. I have a friend who takes his family our for long weekends and they think it just marvellous...the kids too.

BTW.....GREAT pics too.....especially love the one of Sawn Rocks....how spectacular is that??

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations