Camping at XMAS time

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping at XMAS time

Postby travelrock » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Is it more busy before or after xmas? :beer
travelrock
Boy Scout

Re: Camping at XMAS time

Postby amanda » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:21 pm

I'd say after - alot of people head off on Boxing Day after doing the family thing, and most people don't finish up at work until the 19th, or even the 24th, and then go back after New Year.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Yep, I agree...definitely usually more busy AFTER xmas and for the reasons Amanda states.

Additionally...most people with young families don't want to run the risk of Santa not finding the kids so head off boxing day after Santa has been and all the pressies have been delivered and opened.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 pm

having never camped for christmas (the hordes dont appeal) but having a holiday house in a popular destination for campers I can assure you that boxing day and the day after boxing day are when every one arrives then its normally about the 7th that every one starts to head back as many parents have to head back for work. its the silly fortnight. locals all go and batten down the hatches and avoid the hordes.

Like others have said most places dont shut down until christmas eve or the day before. I used to quite often head into work on christmas eve for half a days work and half a day at the pub with my colleagues - its always better than the christmas party cause no bosses ;)

That said our site boys finish about a week earlier and come back to work about 1.5 weeks later.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:12 pm

We are going camping at Xmas time, only because we have our own business and only close for those few weeks over Xmas & dont get away during the year.

This year we are heading to Swan Hill on Boxing Day for 4 nights, then off to Echuca for 3 nights the lastly to Lake Mulwala for a week. We are going with another family and their two kids & tent. We have a camper trailer.

The crowds are usually pretty big but the kids love it as we rarely see them unless they are hungry. Plus they are at an age now where they can go off on their own (10, 13 & 15). The parks usually have heaps of stuff for the kids to do like at Swan Hill they have Movie nights, Jumping pillow dodge ball, craft sessions and also for us adults they also have wine tasting every night at 5pm :cheers (looking forward to that), & free pancakes on Sun mornings. Echuca have a fire works display on the Murray for New Year's Eve, so while it is very busy we tend to like the crowds and the huge amount of other campers we get to meet and chat to. :cheers
Gotta make the most of the time off we have as we dont get that much of it, just the odd weekend away through the year. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby amanda » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:32 pm

I don't usually camp at Christmas (or should I say I haven't done so in about 15 years), however as I'll be taking 2 weeks off while we close for Christmas I can't waste the opportunity. So I'm all booked and set to head to Flat Rock, Ballina from the 20th December to the 3rd January. I'm sure I'm not going to enjoy the crowds, but I'll love the camping just the same.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations