Off to the Cape

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Off to the Cape

Postby Cheiffy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought it was about time I started a post. I have just about 5 months to go before my mate and I turn the Hilux north and go to the Cape. We plan to high tail it to Cairns and take our time from there. We plan on spending around 3 weeks in the cape region and then heading south thought outback Queensland. If time allows, we plan on coming as far south as Birdsville to partake in a beer or 2 at the pub. Then it will be east and home.

It has taken us some years to get off our proverbials and do it but all good things take time. The vehicle in question is a 2003 SR5 3.0TD Hilux with all the bells and whistles ARB have to offer. Due to it being just the one vehicle and our love for side tracks, we will also be taking a GPS unit and mapping software along with the old paper map.

Just thought I'd share this with you and try and catch up with Scols posting count.

Cheers

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm

If you're going to the Cape surely you should be going south from Perth to Yallingup?

You ave a lousy sense of direction cheiffy ... :P

;)

Scol.

Just thought I'd share this with you and try and catch up with Scols posting count.

Can't let you cheat like that Cheiffy ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:13 pm

My DREAM is to go to Cape York! I love the idea of standing at the 'top' of Australia, and looking down on all the peasants toiling in their polluted cities, whilst i'm sipping beer in a tropical paradise :mrgreen: . Make sure you take lotsa pics and post them up here when you'se get back :wink: What are the roads like up there? I have a fairly basic map and it looks as there's only one main road right up to the top :?: Lots of room for exploring the unmapped 4x4 tracks :twisted:

Wish fuel was back around the 50c/L mark.... i'd go up there for a weekend :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Cheiffy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:54 am

Scolers wrote:If you're going to the Cape surely you should be going south from Perth to Yallingup?

Is the real Cape too far away for you westies that you had to create one of your own? LOL

ozzycamperboy wrote:My DREAM is to go to Cape York! I love the idea of standing at the 'top' of Australia, and looking down on all the peasants toiling in their polluted cities, whilst i'm sipping beer in a tropical paradise :mrgreen: . Wish fuel was back around the 50c/L mark.... i'd go up there for a weekend :lol:

It was a dream for us too until we decided to get out and do it. Fuel will be our biggest expense, but if we were too let this stop us, we would never be able to experience the great outdoors.

Cheers

Cheiffy

"Hard at it"
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:39 am

Is the real Cape too far away for you westies that you had to create one of your own? LOL

Actually we have two ... it's called "Cape to Cape" ... :D

Oh! And there are heaps of Capes up north ... maybe we can loan you one ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 pm

What happened? You end up going?

I'm booked in to go in 2009. Already started sorting things out for the trip. Need to make sure the Rocky can get there and back safely... might need more than a years planning actually :lol:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah news?

Ozzy you going with a few cars? what roads you planning?

Id like to get up there soon but reports from a mate who was recently up their says it a tip by name and a tip by nature due to some dirty mongrels leaving their rubbish every where up top
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 am

We're hoping to do Cooktown at the end of the year but that's as far north as we'll be going.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Scolers wrote:We're hoping to do Cooktown at the end of the year but that's as far north as we'll be going.

Scol.

Hahahaha the poor caravan wouldn't be able to take the roads up the Cape

I am also heading to the top in 09 sort have set a date for June it all depends on the weather, this time I am hoping the water is a little warmer so I can catch some fish :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Might get crowded up there in 09 as we are also planning to go.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:55 pm

Kramer when does the wet season usually end? I think we where planning on going in July, but wanted to be the 1st lot through after they open the roads so its harder (we're young, dumb, and like a challenge).

Might have to go in May and get in before your group :lol:

Mate I'm going with has been before with his parents, I wouldn't have a clue really. Only track I know we are doing is the CREB track, from what I've been told thats one of the harder ones. At the moment its only two cars, well, not JUST two cars... TWO ROCKY'S :armsup :lol: Might have a 3rd rocky tag along if old mate fixes it and doesn't wreck it again before we go - he drowned it over xmas, and then tried to drive to singleton the next day :roll: It's still sitting at the mechanics AFAIK.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 am

May/June/ July is officially dry season in AUstralian tropics.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Late May or early June is the start of the dry usually but if it was like last year which seemed to drag on a little we all could be going up at the same time :armsup UHF Channel 12 if anyone needs pulling out, ask for Kramer :***
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Cheiffy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:32 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:What happened? You end up going?

I'm booked in to go in 2009. Already started sorting things out for the trip. Need to make sure the Rocky can get there and back safely... might need more than a years planning actually :lol:

G'day Ozzy,

Long time no speak. We ended up going to the Cape July 07 and had an absolute ball. It is definately a must do.
We are soon to depart on an all Aussie adventure and this will start with another 2-3 months up the Cape this year. This time it will be just the wife and I and we plan on taking our time and living the life for a while.
The best thing is to ensure you have your vehicle checked before you leave as well as constantly checking along the way. Have a beer while you are doing it, this way it doesnt feel like work.

Cheers

Cheiffy :beer

"Hard at it"
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 am

Cheiffy wrote:
The best thing is to ensure you have your vehicle checked before you leave as well as constantly checking along the way. Have a beer while you are doing it, this way it doesnt feel like work.

Cheers

Cheiffy :beer

Sounds like a very good action plan to me...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations