Camping in National Parks Queensland

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in National Parks Queensland

Postby muffys » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Just want to sound out your views. Most National Parks in Queensland you have to book ahead which is fine if you know what particulatur date, etc. Sometimes when we go away we may not have a particular itinerary and may check out a park and decide there and then it would be a nice place to stay. An example is Coochin Creek - Glass House mountains - checked it out looked great and decided to stay the night. Limited mobile reception but rang to book - just about got through booking - up to credit card stage - line drops out. Rang back again, they had trouble finding booking - cut a long story short that site cost us (2 people) $35.00 (site fees phone credit etc).

I know a little pre planning helps alot but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that and it has happened to me on a couple of occasions and I find it so frustrating!.

Please bring back "self registration" in Queensland National Parks.

I must add but - there are some absolutely beautiful National Parks in Queensland.

Does anyone else find this frustrating.

Maria
muffys

Re: Camping in National Parks Queensland

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Marla
This new idea of prebooking could only have been dreamed up by someone who has never realy been a traveller.They seem to think that everyone decides "I am going to go to park xyz & will arrive on date abc& will stay so many days"
All I can see it doing is greatly reducing the use of nps by tourists, it may be ok for locals or those who just go to one for a fixed period holiday.
The other problem is you do not know if there is a suitable site available , especially if you have not been there before, till you get there.
Probably not so much a problem for tent campers but for large vans / m/hs could be diffuclt.
Seems like a decision made by shiny a#*+S sitting in an office.
I have thought that qld nps with the self registration system & general quality of parks where great & every year spent @ least 6 weeks in various ones as we travelled north.
I will not be using them in the future as it is not my idea of a holday.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby TBF » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Muffys

I had the same problem in Blackdown Tablelands back in june.
They have a phone at the entrance to the park that has a direct line EPA HQ in Brisbane.
Three attempts to reigster was foiled by their VISA link being down or a phone disconnection.
I gave up and found a campsite for the night.

Qld National PArks are still a great way to camp.

I would humbly suggest that the reason behind the Prebooked camping would be to avoid overcrowding and secondly to relieve the Rangers of money collection duties.
Hopefully that would lead to better maintained facilities...
JMHO.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm

oldtrack123 wrote:Hi Marla
This new idea of prebooking could only have been dreamed up by someone who has never realy been a traveller.They seem to think that everyone decides "I am going to go to park xyz & will arrive on date abc& will stay so many days"
Seems like a decision made by shiny a#*+S sitting in an office.

They also presume that everyone has a credit card too.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby oldtrack123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi Gyspy lady
""
"They also presume that everyone has a credit card too....."
I certainly should have added that, I don't posess such an animal ,so I certainly cannot phone book.
BUT it seems it is assumed by many business etc that every one does have a credit card
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:21 am

oldtrack123 wrote:Hi Gyspy lady
""
"They also presume that everyone has a credit card too....."
I certainly should have added that, I don't posess such an animal ,so I certainly cannot phone book.
BUT it seems it is assumed by many business etc that every one does have a credit card

I have the opposite in that I have a CC and often no cash.....I also don't like to use my CC online or over the phone.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations