Camping spots between Lorne, VIC to Sydney with good surf?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping spots between Lorne, VIC to Sydney with good surf?

Postby mike_hill2107 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi,

I will be at Lorne until 1st Jan then heading back up to Sydney. I am looking to stop off at one spot on the way home and don't really mind where. Doesn;t matter if it isn't on direct route home but not real far out of the way (i.e. 1- 2 hrs out of the way is OK) The problem is I dont know where is good down south.
I will be camping in a tent with 3 or 4 others and have a 4WD.

I am looking for the following:
- Good surf including various different beaches to suit different conditions. (mandatory)

- I want to stay right near the beach and not in a caravan park that has no trees - important to have (i.e. doesn't feel like your camping when ur not roughing it a bit. I hate the caravan parks where there is a bloddy pool, concrete and pretty much just cabins)

- Prefably 4WD beach access nearby (not essential)

- Good atmosphere. Nice, well set-up. Doesn't have to be really busy camp ground but its nice sometimes to at least have a few people around. I don't mind having a beer or 2 and chlling out around the camp fire for a while - important to have. (however, due to the time of year I'm sure everywhere will be busy. And the busier it is the more ppl in the surf which sucks)

So that's the kind of thing I'm after. Any suggestions of where abouts is good and also a sepcific camping ground you have really enjoyed, pelase let me know. I have searched the foru, a little for review but haven't found much.
mike_hill2107

Re: Camping spots between Lorne, VIC to Sydney with good surf?

Postby Berny » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi Mike,

My pick would be Lake Conjola. The park right at the end of the road is the place to be. You have the option of the beach breaks or Green Island and you used to be able to get on to the beach a bit south of the camp.

There are some other good breaks in the Ulladulla area including Lighthouse Bombee, and Golfcourse Reef when they are on.

Bendalong is another option on the north side of Lake Conjola but while it catches swell and can be excellent with several beach and reef breaks, it's further away from Ulladulla.

After that you could try the legendary Blackrock at Jervis bay, [camp at Vincentia or Hyams Beach]. It's hard to find and only works in a North swell but it's known as little Pipeline when it goes off.
North Cudmira can be filthy in the right conditions.
After that you have Gerroa, Sandon Point Illawarra and then the Sydney breaks all of which I'm familiar with if you need more info.

Hope you get it on somewhere,

Berny
Berny
Camping King

Postby mike_hill2107 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Berny,

Thanks for the info. Is this the camping area you were referring to at Lake Canjola? http://www.islandview.net.au/
mike_hill2107

Postby Berny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

No this one; http://www.conjolaentrancetouristpark.com.au/

Easy to find, just take the road to Lake Conjola [turnoff Prince's Hwy about 2k after Milton] and drive to the end of the road.

Berny
Berny
Camping King

Postby Lost Man » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Maybe give Salt water Creek a try. Good camp spot with camp fire facilities on the edge on the beach.

Heres what is said on surfa.com
http://www.surfa.com.au/List.asp?ID=4&C ... %20-%20NSW

"Saltwater is the right hand reef or boulder break on the Southern side of the beach at the end of the track. This break can get large, and is a quality ride with a steep take-off.
Jumping off the rocks is the go – but watch the sharp reef if it is breaking right out. Best on low tides."

You might wan't to call and book first though at this time of the year as most camps spots along the east coast are quite busy.
Lost Man
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations