Leaving campsite temporarily

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Leaving campsite temporarily

Postby markannab » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I used to think that a campsite was a place nothing would be stolen from. But not anymore.

In a campsite at South West Rocks, for several years in a row, we had "The Beer Thief". Sneaking through our group of campers late at night, he/they would carefully open eskies to steal alcohol or the entire esky. Campers finished up with all their gear stowed within their annexes and battened down for the night. This was put down, not to campers, but locals.

This past camping trip inland, I had fishing rods under the camper & a fellow camper came in at 2:00am trying to steal them. They were tangled in other camping gear so they couldn't get them before I came rushing out the camper. Now, everything is put either in the car and locked or locked in a trailer or similar.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 am

It always take some low life to spoil it for everyone, no matter what it is.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

While we were traveling we had nothing stolen...mind you we didn't have much of any worth to steal really. But we did hear of things being stolen. We even stayed in rest stops a lot ( tight budget lol ).
I do know the Bribie Is CP (which also has a lot of permanent sites) put up that tall fence to stop the locals walking through as they use to get lots of stuff stollen from there. I think it was a lot of the school kids on the way to school or home. It's a shame though as it's on the water front the campers now have to look through a dirty black huge fence. Everytime i go past it along the water front its the one thing (the fence)that spoils the area.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Beau » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 pm

missy wrote:I do apologise if this has been mentioned before, l tried searching for it but nothing came up.

I also apologise for what a dumb question this may be!

When you go camping, have set up your tent etc. what do you do when you leave temporarily? E.g. sight-seeing, fishing etc.

I'm just worried someone will nick my tent and everything in it. I would of course lock all valuables in the car (or take them with me), but what about bits and pieces that aren't likely to be noticed straight away? Has anyone else had a campsite theif issue? :?

Thats not a dumb question at all, I dont think there is a person alive who has not worried a bit about thieves at campsites at some point.

To be honest it is allways in the back of my mind but i just leave it up to the camping gods, the only thing I have ever had stolen has been cold drinks left in the esky one time, and I think they were little brat kids who stole them.

I think I am lucky.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:47 am

hope I never come across any 1 stealing my hard earnt stuff as an ambulance will be needed and Id be up for manslaughter, the headlines would read mad liverpudlian immigrant goes crazy, Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Woodsy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:36 pm

We have stayed at South West Rocks twice once in a holiday house and the last time in a cabin in the caravan park. I have heard that the local Aboriginals get up to no good in the caravan park of a night which really is the only down side to a great place!!

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby 2003gxl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 am

I used to worry about leaving the tent and all the gear inside alone when off searching the area, We usually just chat with other campers nearby and advise them that we are off for a few hours and if they don't mind keeping there eyes peeled when they are at there camp and we do the same for them. The important things are kept in the care like fridge (with alcohol) camera's and wallets and is locked of a night. So far we have been lucky with no thefts and we have stayed in some pretty remote area's. Although last easter I think we had some luck out at Bridle Track near Hill End, We were in bed and the mate ( different tent he was in ) said he got up for a call of nature and he found a bloke walking around near our camp site. The bloke made some excuse he was looking for firewood ( Yeah right at 3am in the morning) The mate told him to P*** O** and don't come back around the camp. He said he slept very light for the rest of the night. I didn't hear a thing must have been the :beer
Greg
GXL 3ltr TD Prado Auto and Alloy Bullbar , IPF Extremes, Dual batteries, Safari Dtronics Chip radiator bash plate,uhf, Mandrel Bent Exhaust 2inch Lift & Gdyr MTR 70 series play tyres on steelies
2003gxl

Postby steve&Kate » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Greg,

This may solve the problem of people checking out campsites of a night.

In the K-Mart catalogue this week on page 8 they have a solar security/sensor light for $59, think I may get one.

http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue/Catal ... n|20090326

Cheers

We were in bed and the mate ( different tent he was in ) said he got up for a call of nature and he found a bloke walking around near our camp site. The bloke made some excuse he was looking for firewood ( Yeah right at 3am in the morning) The mate told him to P*** O** and don't come back around the camp. He said he slept very light for the rest of the night. I didn't hear a thing must have been the :beer[/quote]
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:27 am

steve&Kate wrote:

We were in bed and the mate ( different tent he was in ) said he got up for a call of nature and he found a bloke walking around near our camp site. The bloke made some excuse he was looking for firewood ( Yeah right at 3am in the morning)

Two little dogs prevent anything like this happening.

They are the greatest security as in alerting both me and the would be perpetrator.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:43 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:hope I never come across any 1 stealing my hard earnt stuff as an ambulance will be needed and Id be up for manslaughter, the headlines would read mad liverpudlian immigrant goes crazy, Alan

Give em a liverpool kiss eh Alan?
:*** :+
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations