Perth - Melb - Syd

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Perth - Melb - Syd

Postby Ccsmum » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi - we're looking to travel from Perth across to Sydney at Xmas time, towing an off road trailer with our Mitsubishi Challenger. Whilst we've camped all up & down the West Coast of Oz many times, I've never travelled interstate.

I'm seeking some advice on the places not to miss - eg beautiful scenery, tips, advice that anyone can offer.

We are planning on allowing 6 weeks for the trip, hope to go out of WA via Esperance & in through Kalgoorlie.

Where are the best spots - we're into the outdoors, swimming, snorkelling, beach etc & don't mind getting out and walking, bike riding to see the sites. We're travelling as a family, just me, hubby & kids, 8 & 6.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Amanda
Ccsmum

Postby Scolers » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Hi Amanda and welcome to the board.

Six weeks is a good time to allow for that trip just remember it wll be hot particularly around Kalgoorlie.

When I planned that same trip (although in reverse) I didn't do Kalgoorlie because it means backtracking ... somthing I don't like doing. Norseman - Kalgoorlie and back again is 322km's which means extra fuel, extra driving etc. etc. And given that you are from WA it's something you could do most holidays. It isn't that far but for me Kalgoorlie is just a hot mining town ... but if you haven't been there then by all means go and have a squizz.

Onc you get off the Kalgoorlie - Norseman road and onto the Nullarbor well ... there ain't much! You can either push it to Eyre (725km's) or do the extra 469km's and have a well earned break in Ceduna. There are places to stop and look at but that is about it. From memory there is a caravan park at Eyre (Balladonia and Caiguna and Madura all have caravan parks).

Once you get to Ceduna it's only about anther 60O'ks to Adeliade and then you have the choice of taking the coast road (via The Great Ocean Road) to Melbourne or via Horsham/ Benidgo (there's a few ways) BUT you WILL need to book ahead for accomdation at the time of year you are going. In fact even now you may be dissapointed in not getting the accomdation you want. I'll leabe the Melbourne Sydney trip to some others from this baord as they would know it better than me.

enjoy the trip!

I'm off to Esperance in December this year staying at the Seafront Caravan Park ... great spot!

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camping Tips and Locations