Tent rotation

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Tent rotation

Postby snail&squid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi guys in need of some advice as new at this. Is there any perticular way your tent should face as not to bare the brunt of wind etc. We have two long style tents where we would sleep on each end. Is it better to sleep at a perticular oriantation eg N S E W or is this all hogs wash. Any adice will be gratefully received. We live in Brisbane so would not at this stage be going to far untill more practiced.
snail&squid

Re: Tent rotation

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:15 pm

not that ive ever really thought about it, but if i think back to my sailing day, facing into the wind was always best and less force than side on. Not that this may have any merrit with camping as the winds may change from south to north over the day.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:22 pm

On a hot summers night it is nice to have a little breeze coming in the front door of the tent.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 am

I always like to face the north but more from a 'sun' point of view rather than wind.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Mt brother told me you have to find out which way the weather comes from in reference to where you are and put the back of your camp site towards it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm

It has been my experience generally that the bad stuff comes from the south. However, I seldom get a chance to face the way I prefer due to a number of other factors on the day.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snail&squid » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks all looking to go out in a couple of weeks if can get the kids up early enough & will keep all this in mind Cheers
snail&squid

Postby conmanturley » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I think the ground you are pitching camp on is a more important factor than the direction of the wind.

I once watched in, I have to be honest, mirth as a loudmouthed know it all worked out the way the wind would be coming for the next couple of days based on the weather forecast and pitched his tent accordingly only to find that it was in a slight depression and they got waterlogged after the first downfall of rain.
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:19 am

conmanturley wrote:I think the ground you are pitching camp on is a more important factor than the direction of the wind.

I would not say it was more important but it is certainly an important factor when setting up camp.

I found myself set up in one of those depressions at xmas time....simply because it had been so long since it had rained when I camped...that I just forgot about it.

It was not as much of a problem with the hard floor camper as it had been when I had the soft floor camper.

All was good....& it was certainly a novelty to be camping again in the rain....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations