Local information requested

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:10 pm

You can't go east from Darwin ... it's south or nothing unless you have a 4wd. You can travel to a place called Jabiru on the Arnhem Hwy ... it's worth a look and some good croc stuff there too (I used to catch 'em for the the Conseravtion Commission). June/July/ August is dry season so you should be ok so far as flooding is concerned.

Sydney would be a good place to finish your trip.

In regard to your 'week or two' ... is that in Sydney? If not ... where.

Cheers ...

Scol.

Just to clarify ... you head West from Darwin by trravelling to a place called Katherine which is 300k's south of Darwin. ie. If you are heading to Perth from Darwin you go head south from Darwin to Katherine (300k's) and then West to Western Australia ... then travel for ohhhh 3-4 days to Perth. ;)

If you are heading from the eastern states to Darwin you travel through central QLD to the NT/ QLD border and thence to Tennant Creek and then head 1000k's north to Darwin (and you go through Katherine).

OR you head from Adlelaide to Darwin ... straight south - north run. Takes a few days but you'll stop at Port Augusta/ Cobber Pedy/Ayres Rock/ Alice Springs/ Tennant Creek/Katherine ... thence Darwin.

Hope I havent confsed you ... if you hve a map you should be abke to see what I'm saying.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I've gotten into this thread too late :lol: ... so i'll jjst try and help with a few things that might have been missed. Gas in austrlia is LPG - Which is generally cheaper to run (for the time being atleast). Fuel prices may be up to $2/L by the time you get here, so LPG might even get to $1/L, just speculating.

Best places for free camping are known as State Forests. National parks are the next cheapest, usually around $5 a night. I can help with parks like these between Wollongong(~1.5hr south of syd) and problably just past Newcastle(~1.5hrs North of syd).

As far as sights around Sdney go, if your touring most of Australia, Sydney will be a low point :lol: As will most of the areas between Newcastle and Wollongong. Theres really not much to see there that you wont see 10 times better in the tropics, bar the Blue Mountains. This (the Bluw Mtns) will probly be the higlight of Sydney, of course, not counting the touristy stuff like Hbr Bridge and Opera house etc. Check out Janolen caves, maybe the 3 sisters (overrated IMO), The Lost City in Lithgow is pretty sweet as far as scenery goes and whilst there you'd wanna see the Glow worm tunnel. (review/pics of area here viewtopic.php?t=255 - I'll have to get some more scenery pics next time :oops: )

I use gas(propane) powered stoves, they and the fuel are readily available from all camping stores, and even place like K-Mart (usually have them cheaper there). Same with gas Lights however i havent seen one powered by disposable gas cylinders yet, so you'll need a BBQ cylinder, probly a 2kg would be good, nice and compact.

AS far as buying/selling your gear is concerned, try and buy car/campervan in a smaller town/city, or even on the outskirts of Melb/Syd/Bris, and then sell in/around the city. Prices are usually higher, and theres more buyers for a quick sell.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Just on your choice of vehicle, have you considered a Dual Cab ute? Will give you much more storage space/options, and even though the seating in the rear is usually a bit confined in the back, with a six year old it shouldn't be a problem (unless she's really, really tall for her age :mrgreen:) Heres just an example i found with a quick search:

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales ... ,10,97,420)&cylinder_num=4

Auto, air, P/Wsteer, still 4cyl, and a ute would generally be better for towing than a camry or magna (unless your going V6).

Another possibilty is a Van (mitsubishi, toyota, Combi :mrgreen:) but that'd probly get a bit tiresome as i think they are a sluggish in general.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations