Lady Musgrave Island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Lady Musgrave Island

Postby edwardseddie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey gang,
just getting back into camping after a long time out of it.
Am considering boating to Lady Musgrave Island and camping for a week.
Has anyone done this ?
Logistical problems?
Type and amount of supplies taken?
Weather problems?
I have a couple of simpler weekend trips planned before I take the fully self sufficient camping trip on with wife and kids, as it will be their first self sufficient camping trip.
Cheers for any advice. ::)
edwardseddie

Re: Lady Musgrave Island

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 am

It's a long way off shore , and you would need a big boat.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby edwardseddie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 pm

5.5metre Quintrex Cuddy cabin with a Johnson 90, will do it pretty easy, 65k trip around 90 minutes on a good day.
I would not be going if it wasn't a good day. ::)
edwardseddie

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Last year we camped at 1770 and went out there for a day's snorkeling and an Island tour. It is pretty much self sufficient camping and bookings are essential. At certain times there is no camping available as the turtles are laying eggs, hatching etc and the other time is the time of year when the Black Noddy's return to the island to breed.

The only thing in the way of facilities on the Island, from memory, is a toilet. The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park folks limit numbers on the island. It is a case of carrying everything else in yourself, including water. Not sure about fires, from memory you need a fuel stove.

There are daily boat services from 1770 which may take supplies to the island, but I would imagine that they wouldn't be cheap.

Its a beautiful island with amazing wildlife, but I would think that logistically it would be far easier to camp at 1770 and maybe do a day trip or overnighter. If you want to do a 'bush camp' then there is Workman's Beach at nearby Agnes Waters.

If you do make it out there for any length of time I would love to hear how you got on.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations