camping with dogs and kids

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping with dogs and kids

Postby tojohilux » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm

hi everyone
i am chasing a camp site in central queensland or central queensland coast that is strickly bush camping (no facilities)and very low traffic. private property is ok if i can contact the owners. if you have an answer i would love to here
thanks
tojohilux
tojohilux

Re: camping with dogs and kids

Postby CQCapricorn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 am

There are not too many places that will allow dogs. Not even some property owners will allow them, especially if they are at risk of harassing their cattle. You could try Aracdia Valley Escape, situated 1 hour north of Injune in the Arcadia Valley. They do allow dogs, and they allow camping up the back of the property which is very isolated and beautiful. Contact them at http://www.arcadiavalleyescape.com.au and explain to them what you want to do and who knows they may agree to let you camp on the property with dogs.

Red Rock camping site which is part of the Byfield State Forest (Located on the Capricorn Coast), does allow dogs to stay overnight, however they must be kept on a leash at all times. The campsite is well off the main road, although it can get busy.

Look on the QPWS website under Byfield State Forest for further information.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:21 pm

CQCapricorn wrote:There are not too many places that will allow dogs.

You can't be serious!!!

Sure, I'm talking a different continent, but many camp with pets over here. Isn't it a matter of having rules for keeping dogs on a leash, etc.?

Pets, especially dogs, make any travel by rv so very much better.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 pm

I can't help out with the QLD area but there are probably quite a few....PJ (Poodle Jewel) would be the best person to ask as she takes her furry kids nearly everywhere with her. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:PJ (Poodle Jewel) would be the best person to ask as she takes her furry kids nearly everywhere with her. :armsup

Now, that's a lovely post!!! I can't imagine doing the trip without at least one dog.

With microchips for pets, international travel is becoming much easier.

:) :) :) :)

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby CQCapricorn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Little Kopit wrote:
CQCapricorn wrote:There are not too many places that will allow dogs.

You can't be serious!!!

Sure, I'm talking a different continent, but many camp with pets over here. Isn't it a matter of having rules for keeping dogs on a leash, etc.?

Pets, especially dogs, make any travel by rv so very much better.

Yep unfortunately I am very serious. I am a dog person myself and would love to go camping with my dogs. However the Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service have a very strict 'NO PETS' allowed policy, which often extends to many of the 'State Forests' as well.

Local Councils are also often just as strict on where dogs can and can't go..........this is all as a result of a few irresponsible dog owners, and yep we have plenty of them over here.

Sorry if it isn't the reply you were looking for, however I live in Central Queensland and I can assure you that there are not many places to go camping with dogs......as disspointing as that sounds. Even most caravan parks will not allow dogs...

To be honest if you want to holiday here in Australia, you probably better off leaving your furry children at home.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 pm

CQCapricorn wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
CQCapricorn wrote:To be honest if you want to holiday here in Australia, you probably better off leaving your furry children at home.

I will take it that there are going to be those opposed to anything if you give them half a chance.

No dog, no trip. I too am serious. Extremely disappointing that would be. Having a dog with me makes all the difference.

& while you have that attitude, what about those who need the help of dogs. Those with medical certificate. What do they do?

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby Bradd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm

what about those who need the help of dogs. Those with medical certificate. What do they do? :)

Certified Guide dogs (sight / hearing) are usually exempt.
Each state has its own laws for the parks within its boundaries.
Generally National Parks are strictly No Dogs
In Victoria, Dogs are allowed in State Forests,
with some exceptions, although State Parks usually = No Dogs

There are guides available for Holidaying with dogs in Australia
http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:10 pm

I too never leave home without my 'girls' (the canine variety) and whilst it is true that dogs are not allowed in National Parks there are plenty of other places where you can camp (including CPs) with your canine family. Most state forests in Qld allow dogs...at least the ones here in SEQ do anyway.

I have done a number of trips about the eastern side of Au and have only even been knocked back in one CP and that was in Rockhampton. The young lass on the reception was very obliging and recommended another CP at Gracemere about 17 klms away. When I arrived there the first thing I saw was a sign that said 'Pets Welcome'

Most Top Tourist Parks are pet friendly.

Check this site out, it gives a variety of camping venues and will advise if they are pet friendly. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

There are huge numbers of grey nomads here in Au who travel with their fur babies & many CMCA members who also have their dogs travel with them.

Then there is the Camps Aust Wide 5 book now available and it lists low cost and free campsites....it also lists pet friendly campsites.

There is this site also and again it lists pet friendly campsites... http://ozcamps.net/

I do not know how anyone can say that you are better off leaving your furry kids at home.

I am with you Little Kopit....no dogs allowed no stay...

In fact I am about to head out on a 7000 klm journey through the outback and am definitely taking my 'girls' with me.

Cheers Gypsy....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks Bradd, GypsyLady.

I thought if I kept head on pillow and left the posting to others those with canines would post.

I've known about the National Parks thing for some time. I don't understand it, probably never will, but I know about it.

I'm more of a bush camper, rather than a tourist park type person. I'll have to figure out at least one city item to visit, but I know my priority is for small towns and the character of nearby countryside.

& GyspyLady, I hang out on Derek's COCIA site quite regularly. Yep, I'm a CO person and will be using at least one on travels. Cooking outside where I and my dogs can be a family and spend the evening together is my style. Many are the walks and places I've gone to because it would a good one for the dogs.

;)

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Hey Little Kopit....it is GREAT to see another with such a passion for his furry friends.

Re outback towns, you will find the majority of their CPs pet friendly & fortunately they are more like campgrounds than the tourist CP you will experience on the tourist strip.

A lot of showgrounds in these little towns are also pet friendly & tourist info centres will also give you pet friendly info.

So LK when do you expect to hit our shores??

Cheers Gypsy.....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 pm

I have quite a few more airmiles to earn.

I just retired last summer and moved provinces. I have a whole new set up to learn here, garden to get going, etc. lots of stuff to do with the grounds too for my 1.5 acres.

I plan my first long trip to be across this continent to Alaska and I have to sort that date out too.

Do I need to tell you that the current economic situation has thrown a monkey wrench in the planning, as for so many retirees?

Current pair of dogs are: almost 8 and 9.5. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, ie. water and trail guys. I'll get the avatar of my namesake up by and by.

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Lucky you...I live for the day when I can retire and hit the road full time.

At this point the current economic climate has not affected me super wise which is rather fortunate....however I do still need to work a bit longer yet.

Glad to have you here LK....looking forward to having lots pf chats with you and some very good exchanges.

Yes I too am into the CO cooking but not near as much as Dekek...in fact I am about to try his recipe for Gingerbeer Loaf when I camp over the coming Easter break.

In fact 8 sleeps to go and I will be out camping again....yippee...

Cheers...

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 pm

gypsylady wrote:[color=#000080]

Yes I too am into the CO cooking but not near as much as Dekek...

Who???????????? :*** :*** :*** :***

Ok, ok. I know it'd bedtime.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 pm

="Derek
Ok, ok. I know it'd bedtime.

Oh Bugger......Sorry DEREK....yep it is definitely past my bedtime seeing as I have to get up at 5AM to go to work...Please accept my most humble apologies...

Catch you later

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations