camping with dogs and kids

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: camping with dogs and kids

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm

Well, many do full time in an rv. Does workkamping exist in Oz?

As for me, no, small rig, truck camper is my style. One pup up front, the junior one, one pup in back, the senior one. They do security duty at night together. Senior one insisted on that long ago. I suspect a coyote came near us on a logging road one night.

I live near salt water, and even if things were clear of snow for me in a couple of weeks, I'd still wait until after May 1. This is my first spring in this area. I'd be tempted to post pics of salt water covered in ice from a couple of weeks ago, but that would be too far off topic. Ice out in the Gulf of St. Lawrence means spring can't really be here yet. Sunday, I was outside for quite bit, maybe 3 hours total, wearing a tee-shirt. I had a thermometer in the shade saying 13'C. Sunday night we returned to winter. I don't know what the snow plow did with my mail box. Pups will have to be happy to go swimming when I learn that there is ice free water around.

;)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 am

Heaps of people travel & work here in Au....surprising how many younger people as well.

I agree with the pups being great security...anyone comes near to the camp and there is a warning bark given...not that they are big enough or agressive enough to do any damage but it is good to have the warning.

Start a new topic with your pics LK...I am sure there are plenty of members here who would be interested in seeing them.

Cheers...

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 am

After I got through the last bit of 'education' and away from 'outing clubs' where there usually were people wanting to go backpacking or whatever, I tried camping on my own.

I took a trip from Ontario to The Maritimes to see if I might like to live down this way. It was positive and I moved when a job offered in Nova Scotia. But it wasn't until I had 2 chesapeakes that I really started camping again.

I did not get a digital camera until 2006. So, if it's dog pics, there are some in the Labrador Trip Album n(see sig). Most of the time when I'm with them handling a camera and keeping them with in certain places is more than enough. Like I throw a stick into the water for them to retrieve and get a good work out before camping. Can you picture me watching two pups, throwing stick and and shooting with camera, while keeping it from too many spritizes.

:)

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 am

Little Kopit wrote:
Can you picture me watching two pups, throwing stick and and shooting with camera, while keeping it from too many spritizes.

It is called multi tasking here in Au....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 am

I'se a camper, not one o' them professors.

;)

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Well, many do full time in an rv. Does workkamping exist in Oz?

My sister and her hubby are doing this. Retired a couple of years ago and bought a caravan. They are travelling around and doing farm work, picking fruit and vegetables, to help pay the costs.

Seems to be working very well for them.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Little Kopit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 pm

What I was thinking of was positions for workkamping.

As in one person I know in southern USA is a host at a State Gardens Park. He says he sees deer, fox, coyotes, eagles, etc, but has not sent me any pics of same. He's also guided for caverns and as a retired engineer designed stages, board walks to places and supervised the work. In return they at least get their space to park. Contracts tend to start at 3 month period.

From that you can see state/provincial parks, gardens, forests; commercial cgs; wilderness preserves, etc.

Workkamping is more common in The States than in Canada.

Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby tojohilux » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 pm

CQCapricorn wrote:There are not too many places that will allow dogs. Not even some property owners will allow them, especially if they are at risk of harassing their cattle. You could try Aracdia Valley Escape, situated 1 hour north of Injune in the Arcadia Valley. They do allow dogs, and they allow camping up the back of the property which is very isolated and beautiful. Contact them at http://www.arcadiavalleyescape.com.au and explain to them what you want to do and who knows they may agree to let you camp on the property with dogs.

Red Rock camping site which is part of the Byfield State Forest (Located on the Capricorn Coast), does allow dogs to stay overnight, however they must be kept on a leash at all times. The campsite is well off the main road, although it can get busy.

Look on the QPWS website under Byfield State Forest for further information.

:cheers
ledgend answer. thanks mate
tojohilux

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations