What do I do if Hughie sends it down?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

What do I do if Hughie sends it down?

Postby caveman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi all

About to take off up the north coast (NSW) for our first trip in our CT for the next couple of weeks. Will be staying from 2-5 nights in any one spot. what i've been wondering is, what do we do if it's raining and we need to pack up to get to our next spot. Will our beds get wet? What tips do I need to know?

Cheers

Caveman
caveman
Boy Scout

Re: What do I do if Hughie sends it down?

Postby Titch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:53 pm

We carry big rubbish bags so we can Isolate wet verses dry.
carry a few plastic painters drop sheets from the painter supplies, $5 each, I think .
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:07 pm

If Hughie is smiling and sending it down, rejoice! ;)

A tarp over your bed is probably the best bet to making sure it stays dry. You can pack up a wet tent because it will dry next day when you set up again, or stay wet if it rains again. You will need to dry it thoroughly when you get home but there is a few days grace with the waterproofing that is used these days. Leave your shoes outside if possible and have a towel inside to wipe your feet on.

It always rains when we go away and as one of our forum members says, rain storms will travel many miles against the wind to rain on a tent ;) It's part of the fun of camping!

Have a great camp - Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:01 am

Elaine's suggestion is great....a tarp over your bed before you pack up is one way but then there is also a tarp over the camp that way the CT stays dry.

Set the tarp over up independent of the CT and then you can leave it up and pack up the CT under the tarp. There are plenty of posts here on the forum about 'tarp overs' so have a look back though them and you will even see some pix.

Pics of your campsites; is one that comes to mind.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby caveman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the advice. We have a decent tarp that would work but trying to cut down on gear. First night we camped in our CT it screamed down :*** and it was great. No leaks just some minor sagging which was fixed. Good westerly breeze had it dry in no time the next day. But it is true, Hughie will definitely find you under a tarp. :--?

Cheers

Caveman
caveman
Boy Scout

Postby true salt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 pm

A tarp over your bed is probably the best bet to making sure it stays dry.

Love the idea. I'll put away a nice cheap clean tarp to keep for this reason on our up coming big trip

thanks for the awesome tip!!

David
I Told You So, Johnny Warren

Victory in South Africa 2010!!
true salt
Boy Scout

Postby Pauly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Im with Gypsy, the tarp is the first thing we put up and the last thing we pull down. If you need to cut down on gear/ weight just buy a tarp slightly larger than your camper tent and lay it straight onto the canvas using no extra poles. Remember to get some protection from the pole spikes. A cheap tarp to wrap your bed in is good insurance.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations