Camping in VIC

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in VIC

Postby cathryn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:47 pm

I am looking at camping for just 2 nights one weekend this summer.
Where are the best beach spots for camping in VIC? We are looking for something on the quieter side of things.
cathryn

Re: Camping in VIC

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:28 am

How quiet it is will depend when exactly you will travel.
A public holiday or the week between Xmas and NY and everywhere will be busy. February may be quieter as school has gone back and less people will be on holidays.
As a general rule, the further from the cities (Melbourne, Geelong, etc) the less busy. You could aim for 2+hrs from Melbourne to the East or West.
Try the Parks Victoria website for location specific information.
I haven't really explored the East of the state, but the West along the GOR is very pretty - but then it is quite popular too.

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Bradd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:59 pm

If you are intending to camp during the Summer School Holidays
There will be almost nowhere "Quiet" near a beach and many (commercial) places already booked out
Even worse on a Weekend and forget Australia Day long weekend.

You could aim for 2+hrs from Melbourne to the East or West.

2 Hrs west (of Geelong) gets you the great Ocean Rd /Otways/ Warrnambool, which are major holiday destinations.
To get anything remotely quiet try 3 - 4 hours west, Portland and beyond

2 Hrs East/ Sth East gets you Wilsons Prom/ 90 Mile Beach / Lakes Entrance, which are major holiday destinations.

To get anything remotely quiet try 3 - 4 hours East, Orbost and Beyond
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Lost Man » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:00 pm

cathryn wrote:I am looking at camping for just 2 nights one weekend this summer.
Where are the best beach spots for camping in VIC? We are looking for something on the quieter side of things.

I would recomend 90 Mile beach. There are spots rom sea Spary to Pardise beach. The sites are tucked in behind the dunes. It can get a little busy on school holidays so you'll have to do a lot of driving around to find the right site in peak times. Just drive along shorline drive from seaspray to Golden beach or vise versa and the sites are marked from 1 to approx 19. Its a great spot when the sun is out. If you have kids, make sure you are carefull in the surf though. I've seen a lot of spots all the way up the east coast to Queensland and this ranks pretty well if you like bush camping with minmal facilities.
Lost Man
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations