Rye and Rosebud forshore question

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Rye and Rosebud forshore question

Postby Titch » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I was working in Rye and Rosebud today,(I may have been in your way in a doorway) lol. :booty
I was amazed by how many vans and tents are still down there, can you camp all year round down there?
Does anyone work, or are they left there for Easter and Labour day.
Very curious.
Titch :o
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Rye and Rosebud forshore question

Postby amanda » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 am

My aunt and cousin have camped at Rye foreshore for 40 odd years. They always take their van down on the Melbourne Cup weekend, and bring it home after Easter. They had the same site for 30 years or so, but now, like alot of other places, sites are determined by a ballot system.

They stay full time in Rye for 4 weeks over the Christmas period, and for the rest of the time they spend their weekdays at home in Melbourne and every weekend in Rye.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Rye and Rosebud forshore question

Postby Bradd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:11 pm

I live in Rosebud now and previously did for several years.

Campers start coming as Amanda says around Melb Cup weekend and it builds up for the Xmas Holidays.
The majority have gone by the end of January, but plenty leave their setup there for the Easter hoidays.

If you ever try getting off the peninsula toward Melbourne on a Sunday evening you will see the 10'000s of weekender's crawling their way home.
I can't wait for the Peninsula Link freeway (Frankston Bypass), as I have to drive from Rosebud to Frankston at least every 2nd Sunday and don't
appreciate the almost double trip time due to the traffic :roll:
But despite the traffic problems it's great to see all the campers as they bring the peninsula to life each summer.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Camping Tips and Locations