Camping *IN* Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping *IN* Sydney

Postby Pipster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm travelling through Australia during Dec 06 - Jan 07 and will be in Sydney during the New Year period. Unfortunately there seems to be NO hotels or hostels available from the 30th of December to the 2nd of January. We have 3 people who need somewhere cheap to stay!

Are there any camping sites actually in Sydney that are within 30 (walk/train/bus) of Darling Harbour? I'm judging from the google results that there isn't - but I've got to ask as we're struggling and will probably end up on the streets! heh

Thanks,
Pipster
Pipster

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:21 pm

:--?

:shock:

Within 30 mins of Darling harbour?? Maybe if you can fly :mrgreen:

The absolute closest I can think of, would be near/around Cronulla - Southern sydney. But depending on how your travelling it would prolly be more than 30 mins. Might be CLOSE to 30mins by train.

Do you want caravan park type places or just a spot to put up a tent?(like national park or something). I think parts of Kuringai Chase NP come pretty close to sydney central, not sure how camping's like particularily round that time. But I bet you could camp at the heads where everyone gathers to watch the fireworks, ppl would just think your getting a good spot really really early :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm

Alternatively you could just roll out a swag in hyde park :armsup ... don't think mr plod would like it though.

Welcome to the forum BTW :?#
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Pipster » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks Ozzycamperboy for your reply :grin:

lol, yeah already thought about bivvying in the park! I don't think that'd work too well with our rucksacks and so many people about - reckon we'd have to take shifts to keep an eye on everything. The other problem is that we'd still have to carry all our gear with us on NYE (instead of leaving it in a tent)

I've had a quick look at Kuringgai Chase NP and noted "Campsites are suitable for people who want to camp a long way from their car". That sounds great to me(!) ... but doesn't sound ideal for NY. :( Plus we probably wont have a car and I can't see any signs of trains on the NP website or the map below:
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/PDF ... _basin.pdf

Hopefully our crisis is over as I believe we've secured some accomodation at the ibis sydeny airport hotel. We're not 100% sure yet so camping might still be on the cards! maybe we'll have to camp at the heads and get a good spot for the fireworks. :)
Pipster

Return to Camping Tips and Locations