breaking the cherry

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

breaking the cherry

Postby sharkyjohn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm

hi guys

i have been camping many times with mates i finally convinced the chief to come for a trip any suggestions on how i can give them a memorable & enjoyable trip with 2 kids 13 & 4yr looking at the warmer months

regards john
sharkyjohn

Re: breaking the cherry

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Ease her in slowly Sharky!! :lol:

Depends on what sort of girl she is???

Is she a not without a hairdryer,hot shower, flushing toilet sort of girl or would she be ok with pit toilets and no shower?

No good recommending a great bush spot near Sydney if she would freak out with pit toilets and no electricity!!! :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:58 pm

I agree with XB...break the Chief in very gently John if she is even slightly cautious.

Might also be an idea to take the family to a caravan park with amenities, pool etc for the first time and I will leave recommendations to the others as I have no idea about Sydney and the surrounds.

You might also like to give us some idea of how long this trip/camp is going to be.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 pm

If you know off a couple, with kids, around the same age yours who go camping and your wife likes them.
Ask them to join you, good backup I think.
Cannot help with the Sydney area, but a park with a good camp kitchen and good amenities is a good idea.
Enjoy.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sharkyjohn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm

thats what im not to sure about im thinking 2-3 day trip also my mate trying to convinve his chief if they both come i think it would be ok the problem is the bathroom she doesnt know how to use the shovel :lol:
sharkyjohn

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 pm

sharkyjohn wrote:she doesnt know how to use the shovel :lol:

Knowing and being prepared to do so are not the same! Suggest that a portable loo be purchased and serviced if there's no 'facilities' where you go. You can always wash in the river but squatting over a hole - yecch.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Titch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:00 pm

CampGrrlz wrote:
sharkyjohn wrote:she doesnt know how to use the shovel :lol:

Knowing and being prepared to do so are not the same! Suggest that a portable loo be purchased and serviced if there's no 'facilities' where you go. You can always wash in the river but squatting over a hole - yecch.

Elaine

Especially if your over a bull ants nest :***
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:05 am

and if you have the space to carry it and the area near camp to set it up, take 4 star pickets (or similar) and some shadecloth and construct a square shaped privacy screen with a door opening. The only down side for the owner is, You will find that all people you camp with will want to use it aswell, but if that's ok with you, you'll be a legend and all the girls will be telling their partners how good you are.

edit: or just buy one of those shower/toilet type tent things. But i still reckon the old mesh and 4 post thing is good :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 am

We have a pop-up toilet tent with a Milk crate with a toilet seat screwed onto it!!!!! plus a bag of lime nearby(which is a type of flushing, bush style) Or you could get a Jimmy's thunder-box.

But just warn her first or even better for the first trip try to find somewhere that has at the very least drop loos!!!! If you don't warn her it could all blow up in your face!!!!!! then you may never get her camping again. Porta loo is also another option.

Slowly slowly approach works best with us chicks not shock and awe!!!!! :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 am

sharkyjohn wrote:the problem is the bathroom she doesnt know how to use the shovel :lol:

She doesn't need to use a shovel sharkyjohn....we have given you plenty of suggestions and advice on how to prepare for this maiden run.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm

It really depends on what makes her tick. For me the magic of camping is getting up in the bush with the dawn chorus and watching the sun rise over a gorgeous landscape.

If you think she might like stuff like that too, find a nice National Park spot maybe, but I would also recommend drop toilets.

And sitting around campfire with friends at night. If ditto, check if they allow fires.

For the rest it's all about taking your time to do the everyday tasks you have to do, like cooking and setting up camp. But it helps to have the right equipment - though you don't have to go overboard. Simple things like making sure you have your kitchen gear organised so it's not sitting in the dirt and having a tub big enough to do the dishes in and a kettle big enough to boil water, etc... make a huge difference to me because I don't want it all too much harder than it is at home, if you know what I mean.

I personally don't care about the whole shower thing when I'm camping. We're outside all the time, so who cares if I stink! :*** Clean undies every day is about as far as it goes. But you could always take a solar shower if you think she may not like not washing for 3 days.

If none of this is her style, you may want to find a caravan park with all the amenities.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Very good reply Lin, worked for me.
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:25 am

good point about having things to do while on camp Lin, for example, if you have a reason to be there, like photography. If you can't wait to get up in the morning and get your gear set up for the sunrise shot, or wonder around the bush looking for things to take pics of etc, and then the few drinks in hand while getting that sunset shot :cheers

It helps if you have a few hobbies, and don't just have to sit there bored all day.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby gmhemi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:54 am

Have good cooking and eating gear and a comfortable bed and chairs. We just stayed at a place with another family in the same situation and she was a newby but he was experienced in a guy roughing it type of way. She didn't like it to much.
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby gmhemi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:55 am

Oh... and good cover against the weather.
gmhemi
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations