Camping Trip - Melbourne to Sydney - Princes Highway

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping Trip - Melbourne to Sydney - Princes Highway

Postby flatlander » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 am

CALLING ALL CAMPERS - CALLING ALL CAMPERS

My husband and I are coming to Australia for a two week holiday and our plan includes renting a camper van and camping/driving along the coast from Melbourne to Sydney. We are overwhelmed with the camping options and are hoping you folks can help us with a few suggestions. We have approximately 6 or 7 nights to make the trip from Melbourne to Sydney and are looking for those "hidden gems" - more outdoorsy and natural (like national/state parks) as opposed to highway side campgrounds with huge water parks and mini golf teeming with families :) We are a young couple in our early 30's.

Grateful for any suggestions you may have as to a possible itinerary.

Much appreciated!

Dana
flatlander

Re: Camping Trip - Melbourne to Sydney - Princes Highway

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:52 am

Hi Dana and WELCOME to the forum. I can't help you with info (wrong end of the country for me) but I am sure when the other southern members come on board someone will be able to help you.

Enjoy your travels.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:36 am

The big question here is: when? Even the more out of the way places can get busy in peak season.

My favourites on the NSW Far South coast are:

Mimosa Rocks NP. The best spot is Gillard's Beach: truly on the beach. But I've also camped at Aragunnu and Middle Beach and they were really nice too. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0021
Only drop-toilets, no water provided, but firewood is. Watch out for the cheeky wildlife. The wallabies, possums and goannas make a sport of trying to steal your food. The road in can be a tad hairy too. I had to do it at 25kph and I'm usually quite confident on dirt roads.

Mystery Bay: http://www.mysterybaycampground.com/ Pit toilets, cold showers, drinking water provided and firewood for sale on site. Gorgeous spot. If you stop there, try to visit nearby Tilba, it's absolutely gorgeous.

And I've been meaning to check out the Moruya campground: http://moruya-airport-campground.com/ But haven't been there yet.

There's heaps of National Parks along that coastline. If that's the kind of thing you're after, check the Environments websites. Usually no booking required, though I know some of the busier spots near Melbourne use a ballot for the peak season.

Where are you from by the way?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby flatlander » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far - much appreciated! Keep them coming :)
The dates we will be driving from Melbourne to Sydney is September 23 - 29 - approximately.

I am from Saskatchewan, Canada.

Dana
flatlander

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

The Lakes Entrance area of VIC is beautiful. Here is a website that has a few of the National Parks near and in the area. http://www.lakes-entrance.com/gippslandlakescp.html

We have stayed at Metung which is in the area and the pub there is great and also have cruises on the lake which is huge and magnificent.

We are heading to Mallacoota this year and have heard it is also a great spot with both lake and beach outlooks. Worth a visit I think.

Also found this great blog I have been reading and has heaps of info about some of the areas you may want to stop off and visit on your way to Sydney. http://www.australiantraveller.net/lakes-entrance-mallacoota-victoria-part-1/

Also places like Merimbula are very pretty and if you travel the coast way from Melbourne to Sydney there are heaps of places you can stop over that are quite beautiful.

Hope this helps a little.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:06 pm

I've been down the Princes Highway route three times but in the reverse direction. To be honest, along the coastal route between Melbourne and the NSW border, I still haven't yet found any towns that are nicer than places further north along the route like Eden, Merimbula, Bermagui, Narooma and Jervis Bay. Lakes Entrance, Marlo, Mallacoota just haven't done it for me - maybe because I'm not a fisherman!

Highly recommend Green Patch near Jervis Bay - 2.5 hours south of Sydney. National Park setting but with hot showers and flush toilets. Check Google for photos of Hyams Beach. Usually voted Australia's second best beach - behind Whitehaven on the Whitsundays.

The other highlight along the route is Merimbula - look for photos of Bar Beach.

Someone mentioned Tilba - that's a quaint little town well worth a stop.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:07 pm

There are hundreds of camp spots along the path you want to take, and different way's to get from Sydney to Melbourne. It would depend on how much you want to rough it, If you want to stay very close to civilisation and by the ocean, I would look into staying at camp sites near these cities and towns. They are very easy to get to and within a few hours apart. But In my opinion, The best spots are just inland from the coast, great ocean views and you get that alone in the bush feeling, even though your 30mins away from the coast.

Here are just a couple of spots that I can rattle off the top of my head that are between Sydney, the Victorian Border.

*South Sydney - Royal National Park
*Kangaroo Valley - Bendeela camp ground
*Nowra - Yalwal camp ground
Moruya - Wyanbene Cave camp ground
Eden - Ben Boyd National park

* are close to where I live, I'll be happy to be a lazy tour guide, I can show you the hidden treasure's your after.
I will work for beer. :beer
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations