Caravan parks at the Grampians

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Caravan parks at the Grampians

Postby cherish3 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has camped at any of the caravan parks at the Grampians. Looking to do a trip with the wife and kid so looking to do their first camping trip at a caravan park with toilets and showers.

Any recommendation will be great. Thank you

Cheers
Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Re: Caravan parks at the Grampians

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:42 am

Hi Eric.....good idea to break them in gently with CP, hopefully someone will be able to assist with info for you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GollyGee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi Eric,

I have stayed at the Halls Gap Caravan & Tourist Park and give it a thumbs up. It is situated right in the middle of Halls Gap, with shops & Info Centre just a short stroll across the road - handy for coffee, icecreams, firewood, ice, lazily browsing souvenirs! A good way to ease someone into the whole camping thing. :grin:

There are stacks of kangaroos around. We had them grazing just metres from our tent. There is also a park & playground area between the caravan park and main shops - all great for kids.

We camped right up the back of the park, next to the creek which made me quite nervous as it poured with rain all night. It's also a bit scrubbier down that end, not as much grass covering as the sites up towards the front of the park. I'll find some photos for you.

Only some sites have fireplaces, be sure to request one of those.

There are several short walks you can do from the caravan park and some other excellent walks just a short drive away. Walks to Venus Baths & Clematis Falls start at the caravan park. My daughter loved the Grand Canyon walk which starts for the Wonderland Car Park (just a short drive away).

Facilities were clean & everything worked as it should.

Hope that helps and happy to answer any questions you have (if I can!).

Golly.
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby GollyGee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Our camp up the back of the park near little bridge over Stony Creek.

View of sites closer to road.
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Bradd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:11 pm

A few of the Campgrounds in the Grampians National Park now have "Basic Bush Showers"
Jimmy Creek, Plantation, Smith Mill & Stayplton
All of them have drop toilets and varying amounts of fireplaces and picnic tables

Visitor Guide
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_1411.pdf
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Lin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:45 pm

What an awesome spot, Golly!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby d4d » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:43 pm

I took my wife on her first camping trip to the Grampians. We booked an ensuite site at the Big4. They are older facilities but clean. We've been camping ever since :grin:
d4d
Boy Scout

Postby Trugger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Lake Fyans CP was a nice one i have not been there for a while, if you look them up give them a call to see how full the lake is. They have canoes and other attractions but they are a while out of town.

Halls gap is nice, its close to the walks and shops, i think its the one near the weir which also is a bit of an attraction. If there is no water at Fyans i would stay in Halls gap or one of the other sites mentioned in a post above.

Good luck
Trug
Trugger
Boy Scout

Postby cherish3 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks Golly for the photos. I was thinking of camping there but it is always good to get an opinion from someone who has been there.

Cheers
Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby GollyGee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Good luck Eric and hope it's a winner with the family so you can enjoy many more camping adventures in the future. When are you thinking of going?
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby cherish3 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Looking at Sept School holidays. Probably only 4days 3nights. Stayed in a holiday house last Sept for 3days for our first family trip to the Grampians. So this time round, wanted to be more adventurous and also explore some of the harder tracks like hollow mountain. We did all the easy ones last time.
cherish3
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations