Camping with a toddler within 2 hours of Melbourne

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping with a toddler within 2 hours of Melbourne

Postby lynetteh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi there
We are new to Victoria and want to take our 2 year old on his first camping trip.
Can anyone recommend a suitable campsite within 2 hours of Melbourne? We will be there over a weekend, in October or November. We will be tent camping, not caravanning.
Thanks in advance
Lynette
lynetteh

Re: Camping with a toddler within 2 hours of Melbourne

Postby Titch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Welcome here.
What part of Melbourne and what do you require.
caravan park, bush,beach?
2 year olds will love it.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm

To find a suitable camp site, I've found this site to be very helpful http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/
you might want to check out http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby lynetteh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Tich
We are in Point Cook on the West side of Melbourne but will travel to either side.
Ideally bush/river, but am also open to beach suggestions if there are strong recommendations.
It would be great to find a campsite that is either quiet , or family focused. I hope to avoid the "party all night" campsites as we are sleep deprived enough!
Thanks
Lynette
lynetteh

Postby Titch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 pm

You are blessed, you have the Murray, or as Dave suggested,try http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/
You have Vic park sites towards South Australia, google is your friend.
Caravan park camping, you have, much as well.
More info needed ,free camp or caravan park.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Drax » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Lynette,
Welcome to Victoria!
I'm new to this forum - but I have done some camping around Melbourne with my 5yr old girl and 2 yr old boy.
This spring I'm hoping to buy a new tent and get out a bit more with them on the weekends. The kids love camping and hopefully it will allow my wife to get some sleep on the weekend (as she works nights).

Some of the places I want to take the kids this year around Melbourne are:
- The Brisbane Ranges National Park. I haven't been there myself, but I've seen it on TV and in this forum. Looks good, but you can't have a fire

- Wilsons Promontory Natioanl Park. This might be a bit too far for you - but well worth the trip. I camped there last about 10 years ago. There are many parrots that will eat out of hand, the beach is near by and there are heaps of things you can do. You can get a shower. However the park can get a bit crowded. Again no fires.

- Upper Yarra Reservoir Park. I've been here a number of times with the kids. There is a wide open grassy area where the kids and pets can run around. A creek is nearby and you are allowed to have fires (they give you some sort of large metal plate) - byo firewood. It has proper show and toilets which is useful with kids. I've never known it to be crowded. Our favourite activity here is just to laze around and do nothing! When we feel like doing something we drive to Marysville. There were a few nice walks around Marysville and some good eating places and a garden full of statues (over 100). Of course that all different now.

You can find all of these places in more detail in the Parkweb link that, Titch has provided.

Good luck.
Drax
Boy Scout

Postby John B1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Gday...

Probably a little late for you now ... but there is always the Lerderderg State Park/Wombat State Forest, in particular O'Brien's Crossing on the Lerderderg River.

It is just north of Myrniong (between Bacchus Marsh and Ballan on the Western Freeway). Take the Myrniong turnoff and follow the signs toward Blackwood. You will see a sign for O'Brien's Road which takes you to O'Brien's Crossing.

The crossing is a concrete bridge across the river, on the right is the camping area along the river. Usually lovely and quiet. There are toilets there but no showers.

O'Brien's road is dirt but is absolutely suitable for 2wd cars as well as anything upwards.

We used to go there with our two younguns (4 and 7) back in the 1970s ... but have camped there since.

Blackwood is a nice town too with most of the facilities you would like.

Cheers and happy camping
Julie & John
2006 Discovery 3 and 2008 23ft Golden Eagle Hunter caravan
Some people feel the rain ... the others just get wet - Bob Dylan
John B1

Postby Bradd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

A little over 2 hours is he Grampians National Park

Well worth the drive, there are caravan parks in Halls Gap and plenty of National Park camp grounds.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_dis ... m?park=109
(Downloadable visitor guide on the site.)

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/hallsgap/

Photos from my last trip there
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/braddiv
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Camping Tips and Locations