Camping - Easter - Burnett Region

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping - Easter - Burnett Region

Postby twinmama » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Decided on a last minute camping trip at Easter. We live in Hervey Bay and know most of the usual spots between here and Brissy will be packed. So decided to check out what national parks are north west - i.e. the Burnett region. We've found Kalpowar State Forest, Krombit Tops National Park and Tolderodden Conservation Park. For the life of me I can't find any information on the first and third place other then what's on the epa website. Tolderodden is on the banks of the Burnett River, 4.5km from Eidsvold. Kalpowar is on the banks of Crane Creek north of Gin Gin and Monto . Both have lots of availability (according to EPA) - Kalpowar has 173 available and Tolderodden 60 - so hopefully they won't be too packed. We live too far away to do a weekend jaunt to check them out, and of course we need to prebook and preregister so can't just pack the car up and decide when we get there.
twinmama

Re: Camping - Easter - Burnett Region

Postby stevo. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Welcome to the site twinmama

I've never been to those camp sites, but i went through Eidsvold at christmas, they had some massive floods through there so you'll be guaranteed of some flowing creeks ! I think anything on creek banks would have been wiped out !

If i wasn't sure about the site, i'd just turn up and have a look without booking, I'd bet ($5) they would be quiet anyway, and unlikey they will turn you away. More than likely they'd lock a gate behind you so you couldn't get out!

I think Kroombt Tops is pretty popular. I was going t drop in there at Christmas but the roads were flooded.

Sorry i can't help more than that, but that's what i do here, just reply with useless info, it's Sunday arvo beers :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby twinmama » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

These are in National Parks so I thought we had to prebook?

Kalpowar is actually closed till the 19th April, 2011 due to flooding - I assume the area flooded and they've closed it for clean up and regeneration. Tolderodden appears to be the rest stop (which you can camp at for free for 48hrs).

mmmm decisions. Would just love a photo or one review but can't find anything. I'd like to know if it's worth taking the kayak/and or fishing lines.
twinmama

Postby stevo. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:39 pm

I don't know anything about those places so i guess i shouldn't reply, but what the hey...

I'd take the kayak and the fishing lines, there should be water for the kayak but i doubt you'd have much luck with the fishing lines, but i'd sit there for hours fishing with a beer in the afternoon anyway for the hell of it.

If you want some bigger water you could visit Wuruma Dam just north of Eidsvold, it's free camping and you don't book, just turn up (just a treed grasy area beside the dam). It will be 100% now. You might have some luck with the fishing up the very far reaches of the dam.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Return to Camping Tips and Locations