Camping on NSW South Coast

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping on NSW South Coast

Postby Deborah P » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:21 am

Hi everyone! We are new to the forum and to camping - took our first trip during the week and had a ball!! :armsup We went up North to Barrington Tops and stayed at Riverwood Downs (had to take the puppy because it was all very last minute) - we had a fabulous time but it was a little too 'bush' for me!!! :shock: And probably a little far for two nights.

We live in the Camden area so going south makes more sense .... can anyone recommend a place to camp within 2 hours of Camden? We want to be able to pick the kids up from school on Friday arvo and head away for the weekend. Doesn't need to be pet friendly but needs to be kid friendly!!

Deb
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Re: Camping on NSW South Coast

Postby patty7862 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Deb

Bendeela in the Kangaroo Valley would be approx 1.5 hrs if not less from Camden and perfect for camping especially with kids. It has toilets but no showers and is on the river. Also no campfires or pets. The best thing is it is free.
patty7862
Camping King

Postby Paul M1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Deb
there is Bents Basin probably 45 mins from you at Bringelly/Rossmore its a National park no pets but great for kids and toilets and showers cleaned daily they also have fire pits if you look in the reveiws section i have some pics there.
I live in campbelltown and am going to crookwell this weekend with the family about 2 to 2 1/2 hours south it costs $25 to $27 per night for the site, will give a reveiw and some pic's when we get back.out of town is a free area but frequented by trail bike riders and can be rowdy probably not for the kids. this is a council caravan park has camping area as well as vans you can have a fire as long as you have your own fire pit..we use an old 110l car lpg bottle cut in half will post pics of this as well

cheers :beer
Morgo
Morgo
Paul M1
Camping King

Postby Bradd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Bendeela is a great spot
Was there Jan 2010 with family .. Kids 3, 14 & 16
2 or so km of riverfront camping and plenty of grassed area back from the river.
2 permanent flushing toilet blocks and when we were there several portables for the summer crowd.

Bring along someting to float on, the river is wide and deep but slow flowing (when we were there)
From memory the nearest town had canoes etc for hire.

bendeela_001.JPG

bendeela_002.JPG

bendeela_003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Deborah P » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for the replies!! I will add those to my camping favourites!!! :grin:
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Also try Lake Conjola.

They have a Big 4 park there if that's more suited to your needs or it may be not.

It looks quite nice and not too touristy.

My inlaws have a holiday house at Manyana which is close by.

You could also try Vincentia, Sussex Inlet or St George's Basin as it's really pretty area. Kangaroo Valley is another lovely spot as is Berry.

We are staying at Merry Beach for a week at New Year with friends of ours that have been going there for years but this will be our first visit there as we like to go somewhere different each time.

Look forward to reading your reports.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Deborah P » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Ooooh - Merry Beach looks gorgeous! Our kids are still young and not very confident swimmers yet so the bigger caravan parks with facilities are perfect for us at the moment - I am a litle nervous camping next to a river :( Thanks for the great ideas - all your suggestions look like great fun :armsup
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 am

Hey Deborah we are staying at the Merry Beach Caravan Park this New Year for a week with friends who go there every year for two weeks and love it. So I can highly recommend it!!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations