New places around Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

New places around Sydney

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Getting bored with all my usual getaway places, been to mungo too many times, stockton's been taken over by Nazis, Lithgow feels like my own backyard, wattagans... well actually I havent been there for ages but I'd rather somehwere I can fish.

Any reccomendations?? Thinking I might do something I've never really done by choice, and stay at a caravan park, the one in Patonga to be precise. But if there's something better within a few hours of sydney I could do with a weekend away soon.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Re: New places around Sydney

Postby John G » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 am

What distance are you talking? Theres a heap of coastal spots from newcastle northwards. The new freeway up the coast is almost finished, and its quite a quick run up now. I haven't stayed at many coastal spots (wife is allergic to salt water..) Harrington Big4 park is right on the beach and you can fish off the breakwall 5 mins walk away. Its pretty quiet.. the manager is a redneck tho.
John G
Camping King

Postby padfoot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

John G wrote:What distance are you talking? Theres a heap of coastal spots from newcastle northwards. The new freeway up the coast is almost finished, and its quite a quick run up now. I haven't stayed at many coastal spots (wife is allergic to salt water..) Harrington Big4 park is right on the beach and you can fish off the breakwall 5 mins walk away. Its pretty quiet.. the manager is a redneck tho.

Oh no I've just booked a week at easter at Harrington Big 4. When you say 'redneck' do you mean I should run if I hear banjo's or just a bit a VB swilling?

Sorry I went a bit off topic.
Is Geroa too far? I found the council caravan park was a nice spot. The sites are a bit small however it's on the river and beach. The kids could pump some yabbis and we could kayak in the creek/river.

I am waiting for a nice weekend to get over to Pataonga so will post a report once the weather fines up a bit. Don't hold your breath though....
padfoot
Camping King

Postby John G » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:58 pm

May have changed but I know the owner.. nice guy, but he employed as his manager an irish guy with a big mouth, who says stupid things to customers, and is a noise nazi at 5pm. (Its a caravan park, people stand around and talk post 5pm..)
Like I said, bill may have given him the flick, but he was stomping around at christmas time like a loon.
John G
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 am

Haha, if I'm honest I'm probably a bit of a redneck myself, not in that I'm rowdy, just love sleeping on the ground, wear a cowboy hat, singlet and thongs when I'm camping, and don't mind a XXXX gold :armsup

No noise after 5pm sounds a bit weird but if I go I'll prolly be out fishing till late anyways and too tired by the time I get back.

Would prefer to keep the travel down under around 3 hrs, mostly cause of the cost of fuel. If it's just a 2-3 day trip I really can't justify spending a few hundred just getting somewhere and back. Also forgot to mention I'd love to take my dog, which throws a spanner in the works at most places that aren't state forest, but she can stay home if she needs to.

Actually, after lookin on google, If I was going that far I'd probly have a gander at crowdy bay national park. Or Wallingat State forest.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby John G » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:23 am

Crowdy bay is a great lil spot. Can get very crowded on school holidays.. but off peak its just locals really, and they are cruisy/relaxed to say the least.

Coopernook state forest is a popular spot, and its only really a 10-15 minute drive to the beach. 3 minutes off the pacific highway, and just past Taree.

As for wallingat.. never stayed there, but its dodgey when its been wet, the roads are rough, and gets real slick after any real rainfall on it.
John G
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Sweet, thanks for the info. Road condition isn't really an issue for me, the rougher the better :armsup

Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby John G » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 pm

lol.. not bad.
John G
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations