Trying to get my head around Melbourne ....

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Trying to get my head around Melbourne ....

Postby Deborah P » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi everyone!

I am trying to plan a trip to Melbourne and surrounds but I cannot get my head around it! We want to do the touristy things - Melbourne Zoo/Aquarium, Phillip Island (is that where the fairy penguins are?),Werribee Open Plain Zoo and we really want to drive along the Great Ocean Road and see the Twelve Apostles. My problem is trying to find somewhere to set up camp that is central to everything :? Is that possible or would it be better to pack up camp and move? Also, is driving from Sydney to Melbourne in one go do-able? My hubby is not one for stopping especially is it means setting up the tent for one night!!!

Thanks ;)
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Re: Trying to get my head around Melbourne ....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Deborah... :hello:

Sydney to Melbourne is roughly 10hrs without stops but half way is about Albury and it's on the Murray River and some of the campsites around there are just beautiful as are some of the little towns around that area like Yackandandah.

Not sure about the Melbourne side of things as I have only been there once. Yes Phillip Island is where the Fairy Penguins are. How much time do you have???

I'm sure one of the Victorians on here would be able to help out with the other questions.

Look forward to reading the replies as the Great Ocean Road is on our bucket list and we want to tour more of Victoria as my hubby loves it down there and would love to move to Vic one day... :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Trying to get my head around Melbourne ....

Postby Komodo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:20 pm

I know I'm in late but maybe this can help someone else doing the same / similar trip.

My advice - if you've got kids two days syd to Melbourne or the kids will hate you.
If coming down the Hume just the vic side of the boarder is Rutherglen which is full of wineries and theres a little camp site just down from lake moodemere called stantons bend - the locals will point you in the right direction.

Phillip island and GOR are complete opposite sides of Melbourne. Both are near 2 hours either side (4 hours apart)
GOR is a trip on its own done properly. You "could" base near geelong ferry to portsea and then head around to phillip island - possibly even get another passenger ferry from hastings to PI.
THIS SAID. I wouldn't advise it. Remember whilst Port Phillip may not have the "romance" associated with Sydney harbour it dwarfs Sydney harbour by approximately 35 times the area covered! (55km² vs 1900km²)
(Its also the busiest commercial shipping port in Australia).

My suggestion is to treat east and west of Melbourne as separate trips. However if doing the state in one trip then you will definitely have to have at least two camps to do the coast from Warrnambool to Phillip island. It would be nearly 7 hours drive absolutely hurtling along to get from Warrnambool to Phillip island its about 500km along the coast. IMO you want a full day to do the GOR starting from Torquay allowing time to look at London bridge (or the relics of), the remaining apostles, Loch Ard stuff etc.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations