A family new to camping !

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

A family new to camping !

Postby toucan68 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:34 am

Hi, we are a family with 4 small children and have just been given a tent and some camping equipment. What i would like is any hints and tips on what we really need for our large family. :lol: :D Thanks :)
toucan68

Postby Tricky13 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:13 pm

A couple of tips from a relative novice (ie. me)... (1) common sense - refer to this site for helpful general tips, (2) just do it - but try a caravan park and talk to other campers and check out what they do. :wink:
Tricky13

tips to get into camping

Postby ozzycamperboy:D » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Like tricky said, just do it. Its amazing how forgetting silly little things like cuttlery, or plastic bags (things that seem mundane in ordinarly life) make such an impact on a caming trip, the only way to get good at packing everything you need and nothing you dont is practice, so for your first couple of trips, camp in places near shops, cause i guarantee you'll need to stop of and buy some of these simple things, Also, everything takes twice as long when camping, so if you want to eat dinner at 6:00, start cooking at quarter to 5 :D!!!
ozzycamperboy:D
Site Admin

Postby RichardLOZ » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi there

We are also a family with 4 kids and a delightful Sharpei who comes camping with us to places that he is allowed to go. We have setup a website with some of our stories and ideas around camping, camping with kids and camping with dogs, which you may wish to have a look at. You may find some bits of useful information there as well. The link is in my signature. Enjoy and cheers.
RichardLOZ

Postby nbwood » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Try camping in the backyard first. Do a full set up with washing up and clothes line, cooking & clothes storage etc. (at least if you forget something you can get it easier) Do this until you get it right and then your packup will be more logical. The kids will also get used to sleeping in sleeping bags in the tent.
nbwood

Postby happynomad » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:37 pm

Agree with nbwood.

try the backyard first.

I dunno why it would happen, but it IS possible that you may not like the outdoors.

Personally I cannot see how ANYONE could NOT like the outdoors.

I started camping in my teens, now into late 50's and STILL camping. :D :D :D :D :D

Over the years have done all types.
Started with tent, then wind up camper, poptop caravan, hard top caravan, and now stillhave a caravan with all the extra goodies like portable fireplace, and cooking plates etc.

After your first time at home, try camping where ther are other campers.
You will find they are friendly, (at least most are), and helpful.

Tricky and ozzy have given you some good tips.
You will overpack to start with, but you will soon get rid of the excess.
You will also forget things, some needless, some important.

Have fun camping, and maybe I will see you somewhere in the "bush"

Rick
happynomad

Postby Kitch76 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:50 pm

http://www.burrelloutdoors.com.au/burrelloutdoors/CampingTips.asp

This is a great shop in toowoomba where I get my gear. I tend to take everything including the kitchen sink as we like to camp in out of the way places which normaly means no ammenities and no noisy neighbours. We have setups for hot showers, chemical toilets, kitchen, dining ect ect.

Sorry to dissagree but I think the back yard is a bad Idea. Go some where like ozzy said close to shops even try a caravan park first as I think hame is too tempting to call it quits early in the peice. If your first experience sux go again cause not all trips will run smooth and you dont want to bail because of one bad experience.
Kitch76

Postby jacko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:03 am

well samfish6 so you are new to camping.
well what i do before i go on any trip i make up a list of every thing i want and need to take ( i normaly do this a week or two before hand ) and check it of as i get my gear together that way i am bouned to remember 99% of what i wanted to take and if i forget any thing it is only something small witch you can pick up from a store or town.
good camping and the kids will love it
jacko

Return to Camping Tips and Locations