Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:04 pm

Sounds like a good fridge is worth the investment. How long do you expect these fridges to last, a good one like Waeco or engel?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:09 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Sounds like a good fridge is worth the investment. How long do you expect these fridges to last, a good one like Waeco or engel?

Should last a long while. Given the age of some of these for sale on ebay: http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... C+engel%29
They seem to last. Also have friends with one in their caravan and I don't know how old it is but it looks retro :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:12 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Sounds like a good fridge is worth the investment. How long do you expect these fridges to last, a good one like Waeco or engel?

Personally I'm going for a WAECO (80ltr) but that's only 'cause they're cheaper (by a long way too) BUT Engel's WILL last a lifetime ... ok ... 20yrs maybe ... and that's not an exageration.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:17 pm

How long for the Waeco do you think 10yr perhaps??
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:35 pm

mummeee74 wrote:How long for the Waeco do you think 10yr perhaps??

BLOODY BETTER!!!

8)

I reckon they should last a long time but there is a 'WAECOvsEngel" debate (like a FordvsHolden debate). The motors are German made so I rekcon they should last a while.

Also, how often do you go camping for? We hire a 60ltr WAECO for $50/ week. Usually just to get us thru the summer months so say about 5 times a year. $250/ yr vs $1100 for a new one. If it breaks down I dont pay for it. Just another option for you guys.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:50 pm

The price on this 110ltr WAECO is pretty good ... just depends how long the price holds ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:14 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking it would want to last 10yrs!!

Um well you see Scols we don't go camping LOL not yet. But have decided I want to be comfy when we do go, bugger it, I spend so much time cleaning this house and looking after all the family I want to go away on weekends and enjoy myself, so have decided not to have to worry about fishing my snags out of the water in the bottom of the esky and we will buy the fridge, I would of had to buy a decent esky/cool box anyway.

But it cannot be more than 450mm tall. So thinking the CF80 is the go. But I really do want it to last 10yrs, I am buying such a big size so when the kids get big I can acommodate extra food without to much worry. But I dont' want the thing to pack it in before that time either.

Having said all that hiring it is a very good idea, not really anyone around close by I think I can hire one from a campertrailer place but they are about 1hr drive away, mmmmm something to think about though that's for sure.

I bet that Waeco on ebay goes for a lot more! Might watch it just to see. 17 bids with still nearly 6 days to go.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:50 pm

110L ::() , not overkill is it? My 52L ice box is more than enough for me and a couple of mates for a weekend, and 1/2 it's space is taken with ice (and beer :lol: )

But I spose if you have the room to store it your better off with too much than too little
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Come on Ozzy, only half it's space taken up with beer???? Surely you jest??

Nah only joking, yep I think 110L is really too big for us, I think we could do with fine with a 50L but I really like the freezer on the 80L one..... OK you guys have beer, so I have ice-cream....
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:01 am

SHe did say 80ltr Oz ... it's me who'd like the 110 ... :beer

Also if you have kids you do need th extra frdge space AND the 80ltr can be used as half fridge freezer OR full fridge OR full freezer ... can' do that with teh smaller ones.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby double_d » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:57 pm

i have a 90 litre everkool fridge mate
with three kids it is just right just pretty heavy to lift when full
daniel
double_d
Captain Camping

waeco

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:16 pm

We have a 45 litre waeco. It is out of action due to a thermostat problem? Just one of many probs we have had with it in the last 6 or so years, mainly to do with power supply, particularly 240v conversion. We know of one couple who named their waeco the $700 esky. Only worked when filled with ice!! However I know people who use them all the time and they are great. I think there is a great variation in reliability between models. My parents had a 110 that they used at home on a solar set up permanently, and they worked out it drew more current than a full size fridge. (They bought a big normal fridge!) You have to consider how you will power these thirsty creatures, as they can suck a car battery dry pretty quick especially in tropical climates. A standard vehicle with standard battery setup won't cut it. Good luck. :grin:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Re: waeco

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:14 pm

gqpatrol wrote:We have a 45 litre waeco. It is out of action due to a thermostat problem? Just one of many probs we have had with it in the last 6 or so years, mainly to do with power supply, particularly 240v conversion. We know of one couple who named their waeco the $700 esky. Only worked when filled with ice!! However I know people who use them all the time and they are great. I think there is a great variation in reliability between models. My parents had a 110 that they used at home on a solar set up permanently, and they worked out it drew more current than a full size fridge. (They bought a big normal fridge!) You have to consider how you will power these thirsty creatures, as they can suck a car battery dry pretty quick especially in tropical climates. A standard vehicle with standard battery setup won't cut it. Good luck. :grin:

That's really interesting gq ... never heard of problmes with the WAECO until now ... might ask around and see what ppl reckon ... but those bl00dy engles are expensive!!!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 pm

I was pretty *SPAM* with the homework on this recentley. I looked into buying a car fridge. Way too expensive and bulky. What we did is buy a small 50 litre bar fridge from K-Mart for $120 buks. Take that to certain places that require a lot of packing but good food ( I hate runny butter)

Then I bought a 60 litre "TechnIce" box from the Trading Post. Ice lasts for up to 16 days with block ice. You need to ice it up a day before you go to make sure it's cold inside. The people I know (in-laws) have Engles and Waeco's and they have spent a fortune on servicing and repairs on them after 12 months.
So a small fridge we put in the back of the 4WD for special trips (long & powered sites) and just the Ice box for shorter trips. It's brilliant. I was doubtful of them until I saw them in action.

Good luck!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm

Just another thing to consider if you go down the ice-box path. Is using dry ice! I've heard of alot of people using it and i'm going to try it this summer. Can get it from BOC gas n gear stores. Supposed to make your icebox freeze up for days :armsup
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations