Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Just another thing to consider if you go down the ice-box path. Is using dry ice! I've heard of alot of people using it and i'm going to try it this summer. Can get it from BOC gas n gear stores. Supposed to make your icebox freeze up for days :armsup

Cost?

And ... DON'T TOUCH!!!

;)

sCOL.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:40 pm

Scolers wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:Just another thing to consider if you go down the ice-box path. Is using dry ice! I've heard of alot of people using it and i'm going to try it this summer. Can get it from BOC gas n gear stores. Supposed to make your icebox freeze up for days :armsup

Cost?

And ... DON'T TOUCH!!!

;)

sCOL.

I'm yet to find out the cost for sure but apparently not THAT much. Cause you dont need much actual 'ice'. I've heard of people freezing the whole ice-box into one solid block of ice cause they used to much dry ice :mrgreen: The idea is have a little bit on the bottom and fill with normal ice.

And you have to wrap it in newspaper or similar :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:I'm yet to find out the cost for sure but apparently not THAT much. Cause you dont need much actual 'ice'. I've heard of people freezing the whole ice-box into one solid block of ice cause they used to much dry ice :mrgreen: The idea is have a little bit on the bottom and fill with normal ice.

And you have to wrap it in newspaper or similar :lol:

Thanks for that ... might look to see if there is a BOC dude close to where we live ... off for the weekend this weekend so might try the BOC ice.

Cheers !!!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, the bar fridge is starting to look more appealing (ie.cheap) just would of liked something we could pack with food before we head off to avoid that dreaded shopping trip once we arrive at our destination. Also just worried about the weight. But other than that seems to be a very viable option for the types of holidays we will be having.

Although I just read someones raving review on an evakool icebox and sounded mighty impressive.... so thoroughly confused now!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:15 pm

mummeee74 wrote:
Although I just read someones raving review on an evakool icebox and sounded mighty impressive.... so thoroughly confused now!

I heard great things about my Ice-box b4 I bought it (tropical), and believed it. Whist its not 'terrible', I wasn't overly impressed. They say 5 days keeping ice, well, yeah, there are BITS of ice after 5 days but atleast 1/2 is water :lol: I think when the do their testing, the FILL the box with ice to the brim, and drain any water very regularly (water makes the ice melt quicker). So this way, it prolly would have alot of ice left after 5 days. But once you add food/drinks, opening it all the time, and occasionaly forgetting to drain it it probly works out to 2-3 days of guaranteed ice.... but thats where dry-ice comes in :twisted:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm

We have an ice box and it's great BUT in summer you do need regular access to ice. We came back from a 4night trip a few weeks back and only had to use one bag of normal ice ... in fact it was still 3/4 full with ice when we arrived back in Perth ... not bad for an outlay of $3!

Now for comments on dry ice ...

Wife just got off the phone from BOC (Malaga) .. $7.50kg .. not bad when you think it will last 4-5 days plus AND no messy water in the bottom.

BUT ...

It gives off a gas that puts you to sleep if it is in an enclosed area (such as a car) even if the ice block is in an esky or ice box. The guy at BOC recommended putting the esky/ ice box in a trailer OR driving with the windows open if you are going keep the ice box in the car.

Also, it will burn meat (and human skin) if contact to the ice occurs.

We'll just stick with normal ice for now. Wife got a bit spooked about the gas issue ::()

:?#

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Might solve my problem of getting the kids to sleep ::()
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Might solve my problem of getting the kids to sleep ::()

:*** :*** :***

Just found out it's carbon dioxide ... let the windows down every half hour and should be ok. So they say ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Yeah strangely enough I am rather attached to these kids, I am with your wife on this one, might skip the dry ice idea, at least until they are teenagers then apparently I might want to reconsider :***
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:52 pm

PLus normal ice is readily avaliable ... I have to travel to get the dry ice ... just too lazy really ... :--?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:53 pm

Funny BOC is just around the corner from us here so it would be really easy, but wondering what it might do to your food as well?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:59 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Funny BOC is just around the corner from us here so it would be really easy, but wondering what it might do to your food as well?

If the ice is wrapped in newspaper (as Ozzy suggested) then no prbs. But if the food comes into contact with the ice then it burns the food (and you hand if you're not careful). But the gas doesn't hurt the food. The guy at BOC said if you have eggs near the block it will freze them ... :shock: :shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:40 pm

Its just frozen CO2 :mrgreen: . It can't 'hurt' your food, but it can ruin it :lol: . Since it will freeze 'burn' anything it touches (resist any urges to lick it :shock: )

The idea is to use a small amount, probably even less than 1/2 a kilo for a 52L Ice-box, wrapped in newspaper on the bottom, then cover it with a layer of normal ice, then put your meats and watever else you want FROZEN, then another layer of ice with soft-drinks and other stuff that only needs to be cold on top (since hot air rises). The stuff on the bottom should stay frozen, if you use too much, it will freeze the normal ice and whatever is in it into a solid block :shock: :lol: (might pay to bring a chisel the 1st time I use it :armsup )

Image - If the gases where poisonus, they wouldn't let kids play with it. Its the stuff that you breathe out when you exhale, just 'frozen'. So as mentioned, make sure its not stored in an enclosed space with people, or you'll be asphyxiated. Much the same as you would if you were left in an air tight container/room for a while.

BTW I stopped in at a BOC store today since I saw it, and not all stores have it now :? The guy only knew off 2 in Sydney that have it, but luckily one is just down the road from me :armsup . I told him what I was going to do with it and it didn't seem to be anything out of the usual to him.

On a side note, if you have some 'chips' of it, and put it in a coke bottle, add some water and screw the lid on tight, you can make a nice BANG :mrgreen: And if you wanted to be McGiver for a day, you could prolly make a homemade/bodgy fire extinguisher with it :idea:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:11 pm

mmm thanks ozzycamperboy does remove some of my fears! Not sure I ever had the urge to lick it though, must be a boy thing... like the urge my hubby has to sniff his own socks after he takes them off I guess.

Which Sydney stores actually had it? Marayong/Blacktown???
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 pm

mummeee74 wrote:mmm thanks ozzycamperboy does remove some of my fears! Not sure I ever had the urge to lick it though, must be a boy thing... like the urge my hubby has to sniff his own socks after he takes them off I guess.

Which Sydney stores actually had it? Marayong/Blacktown???

BINGO! Marayong and Wetheril Park.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations