Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:00 pm

Thought I would post an update, we decided on the Waeco CF40 after much much deliberation. Phew who would of thought spending money was such hard work!

Also camper trailer arrives before Santa! Yay can't wait! Hoping first trip away will be New Years Eve, probably a bad idea considering it will be our first camping trip in about 10yrs and the first time with our new CT and first time the kids have been camping - must be crazy! But I can't wait!

Now just to figure out where to go :lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby jollyroger » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 am

Do what we did on our first camping trip ever and with kids. Go somewhere not too away from shops and fuel. We set a maximum radius if 150km. Picked somewhere near the coast and had a ball. There was a bloke next to us (Mal) who owned a CT years ago and helped me out no end.
If he hadn't been there to help out I would still be there working out how to set the bloody thing up.
Just go and enjoy yourself...You won't regret it!
:+
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:12 pm

Good idea about staying close to shops and fuel. We won't be going anywhere too far, it's just a couple of nights. I just wish we could go out of school holidays for our very first trip but I can't wait that long! The upside is we should provide lots of entertainment for the rest of the park while we set up!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Go a week earlier to Mungo Brush. I guarantee you'll see next to no one else there (except me and my crew :armsup ), and shops are 20mins away. Beach 30secs away, lake 1min away. But I dare say over the new years weekend there will be alot of people there... or anywhere for that matter :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Can't go a week earlier sadly, Hubby is on call Christmas week, think he drew the short straw, hence new year will be our first free weekend. If the trailer arrives earlier in December we might be able to squeeze a trip away before Xmas, but I doubt it will arrive that early.

Was kind of thinking first trip would be powered site, my brother lives up that way and said there was a good campground (with showers) at Treachery head? Was thinking either there or Shoal Bay, which has nice quiet water for the kids, but is guaranteed to be absolutely jam packed, if I can even get a spot. The camping book I picked up says the Mungo Brush campground has electric/gas bbqs and showers is that the one you go to? Can you walk to the water (lake?). Forgot to add also considering the swansea campground someone on here suggested, also has nice quiet water.

What an awful weekend, wish I was somewhere else.... somewhere sunny

:lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Nenie23 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm

Hey Mummeee,
congrats on the purchase of the fridge. Might have missed it, but was it 2 way or 3 way.

We got a Bushmans 45litre fridge bout 6 years ago for $1000 and it is brilliant. I have a 2nd battery in the cruiser, so it stays in the car all the time, (not on always thought). Its great, when I go shopping, just put the fridge on before I go in, then pack cold or frozen stuff in, that way I can do other things on the way home and not have to worry bout melted ice cream.

Mine is only a 2 way, cause I didn't like the idea of running it on gas and leaving it in the tent or CT at the camp site. Also, if we go for a day drive, we always have our food and cold drinks with us. No need to stop at take aways for cold stuff. Saved us a fortune.

You will no doubt have to update us all when the new CT baby arrives.
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Only 2 way, can't remember but there was some reason for avoiding the 3 way! I like the idea of keeping it in the car for shopping etc, good idea. I think melted ice cream is the only thing I hate about summer.
Also I was really lusting after the 80L in the catalogue but when I actually saw it and then I knew it would never fit in our boot! So hopefully we will get more use out of the 40L for picnics etc as well.

I so can't wait to get away!!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:07 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Can't go a week earlier sadly, Hubby is on call Christmas week, think he drew the short straw, hence new year will be our first free weekend. If the trailer arrives earlier in December we might be able to squeeze a trip away before Xmas, but I doubt it will arrive that early.

Was kind of thinking first trip would be powered site, my brother lives up that way and said there was a good campground (with showers) at Treachery head? Was thinking either there or Shoal Bay, which has nice quiet water for the kids, but is guaranteed to be absolutely jam packed, if I can even get a spot. The camping book I picked up says the Mungo Brush campground has electric/gas bbqs and showers is that the one you go to? Can you walk to the water (lake?). Forgot to add also considering the swansea campground someone on here suggested, also has nice quiet water.

What an awful weekend, wish I was somewhere else.... somewhere sunny

:lol:

I stay at the National Parks campsites and AFAIK they don't have any facilities except a 'enviro' dunny, and a garbage collection point. I think the campsite your talking about is Riverside Campground or similar (in here viewtopic.php?t=616 ), don't think its close to the lake but its right on a river, and only 5mins to a beach. The lakes you'd probably need to drive down the road into the national park to get to them.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm

You know I bought this book, Camping guide to NSW and under the Mungo Brush camping area (NP) it doesn't say showers but the next page where it shows a map of the Myall Lakes NP camping areas, it shows Mungo Brush as having showers, and the previous page shows gas bbq's, bloody confusing and really poops me as I paid $20 for this book and it was supposed to be revised in 2005.

So that's my whinge :?

Thanks for the link though, might look into that park, seems pretty popular.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:46 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Can't go a week earlier sadly, Hubby is on call Christmas week, think he drew the short straw, hence new year will be our first free weekend. :

So he's a policeman or a firie? Spill the beans mummie!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:54 pm

OH HOW I WISH...... luuuuuuv a nice uniform! Love it when the firies come to playgroup (ha ha how sad am i)

Works in IT, all to do with those damn planes that fly all those damn people around over xmas, for some reason they want to be with their families. But then hey he will prob be made redundant xmas eve, that's their usual style.
Merry Xmas!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:11 pm

mummeee74 wrote:OH HOW I WISH...... luuuuuuv a nice uniform! Love it when the firies come to playgroup (ha ha how sad am i)

I WAS A POLICEMAN!! Bit I think I'd be a bit old and wrinkly ofr you now ... :shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:17 pm

****blushing****
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 am

mummeee74 wrote:You know I bought this book, Camping guide to NSW and under the Mungo Brush camping area (NP) it doesn't say showers but the next page where it shows a map of the Myall Lakes NP camping areas, it shows Mungo Brush as having showers, and the previous page shows gas bbq's, bloody confusing and really poops me as I paid $20 for this book and it was supposed to be revised in 2005.

So that's my whinge :?

Thanks for the link though, might look into that park, seems pretty popular.

I'll drive into that ground and have a look when i'm up there. If they do have showers, that will be awesom cause its about 10mins away from my site :armsup Mungo Brush is the one of the 'main' campsite in that area so I dare say it would have the most facilities, but still cant see a NP site having a shower... hope i'm wrong
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:15 pm

Back the the whole fridge freezer thing.... was driving around doing errands today and stopped of at a certain camping store, which just happens to be the factory outlet for this big camping "brand", and I asked about a fridge freezer.

The manager showed me two that they had and said they had got them from the manufacturer in the US with the intention of putting their brand on it and selling them, they since decided that the fridg/freezer market was too competitive and changed their minds about selling them here. So they have two of these things going cheap. $400 :shock: . Proper fridge one, with a kompressor, the walls look to be atleast 1 1/2 - 2" thick, and he said they tried it in store and it got down "well below freezing... at a guess minus 15 - 25 degrees easy".

Its rather bulky but only has 25L capacity (I'm of the belief that this was their reason for not going ahead with selling em as engel/waeco ones of this size/weight are about 40-50L capacity, but he didn't say that) I asked him about a warranty and he said 2 years... sounds great to me but i'm a little weary :? .... oh and i'm not mentioning the name yet cause there's only two of them and I might really want it :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations