Campsite Prices

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Campsite Prices

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Wow just doing some looking around at campsite prices and they certainly do vary, fancy paying $315 for a powered camp site for a week, yeah OK it is for Xmas but still - ouch. Way more than I ever imagined. I have found another one that is $154, seems much more reasonable, but obviously the facilities vary greatly, I am not really interested in the facilities to be honest, just the power at the moment, till we get more confident. I don't mind an old shower block (yeah i want a shower too LOL) but I would like it to be clean same goes for the toilets.

What's the best way of finding good cheap campsites? I have the BIG 4 book but it is limited, also Camping guide to NSW, but have already found a discrepancy in that, so what does everyone use to find the "perfect" site?

I read on another thread that the Camps 3 is a good book to purchase for camp sites, all types, NP, private, forest etc. Any others you can recommend?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:53 pm

That's crazy!

No more than $132/ week for us here in WA ... although a 'tredny' one migh cost around $245 but that's top dollar!

Best way to find out is to get into the camping game which you're doing ... also check this site ... http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/ ... has some reasonabe reviews (careful tho' as some ppl expect something for nothing) but some reviews carry prices. If not you can also ring them up.

BTW

I doubt whether you will get into cheaper caravan parks for Xmas at this time pf year ... lesson learnt!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Think that's crazy try, $420 if you want an ensuite site!!!!!!!! ::()

Must admit the ensuite looks rather nice :lol:

yeah looks like we will be camping in the front yard for new year, can't fit the thing in the backyard :***
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:10 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Think that's crazy try, $420 if you want an ensuite site!!!!!!!! ::()

I think there wold be a m ajor riot if that happened over here ... :-bang

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:15 am

Simple solution = Self Sufficiency :armsup :mrgreen:

but 315 works out to $45 a night which is just a lil crazy if you ask me, considering you could get a cheap hotel for about $50. Or a cabin in most caravan parks for 60 odd :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby kirsa » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 am

I was like you Mummee, I had the impression that camping was cheap! We are going away soon to a coastal caravan park and its costing us $53 for a powered site for 2 adults for 2 nights. To me, thats expensive but the place we want to go, Moore River, only has a caravan park so we have to wear this cost.

I much prefer to find free sites, go bush.

I have 2 books that have some good info, one of which you already have (but the NSW version)

Camping Guide to WA - a boiling billy publication. It has a small description of each camp site (divided into regions) and it lists all the facilities and costs etc. Plus maps. I have found this to be a good start.

and Camping Atlas of WA - similar to the camping guide but in much more detail.

But to be honest, I think the best way is word of mouth and to go out exploring. When we lived down south on the coast, we would take the kids out on little day trips and explore all the possible camp sites for a later camping trip. We made a game of it, and the boys felt like explorers. Just make a few notes of how you got there and what it was like, take some pics and build up your own camping sites book!

What about the Govt National parks guides? I am sure they have good info.
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Postby Nenie23 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 pm

Try ringing the Tourist Information Centre for where you are going. Big 4 parks would have to rate as one of the highest that I have found, but they have rated as one of the nicest grounds, amenities and facilities.

Try Family Parks and also the Council Caravan parks in the area. Either that or go outback - heaps cheaper. lol
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 am

comparing to Motel rates doesn't quite work out for families as you can't get a $50 room for 4 or more, but you can put all them (and more) on a tent site. Last road trip to Queensland I think the going rate was more like $70-$80 to sleep a family of 4. Also, remember that's for the room and shower only. Start adding breakfast, etc and things get worse as you have to go out for them. We usually take breakfast stuff with us mainly for the time factor. Don't want to be wasting time trying to find something, or waiting for room service if wanting an early get-away.

We just spent 3 nights at a van park (in our new wind-up camper on a powered site, 2 adults and 2 kids) in Ballarat, Vic and after the Big4 discount (10% buts costs $40 in the 1st place) it was $38.90 a night. Is that value? They had solar (semi) heated pool (this is Ballarat... the coldest place this side of Antartica!), a spa, 20cent BBQ's (took 40cents to complete cooking), camp kitchen, good playground for kids, tennis court, basketball and the toilets/showers were ample and clean. Since it was a loooong weekend in Vic, they also a ran kids program at 5pm, although we always seemed to miss it. Also had a kids movie in the games room at 7pm. One night they had everyone cooking damper, which was very yummy! My sons loved cooking it and eating it was a bonus! We're actually 'used to' staying in timeshare resorts so have come from one end of the scale and this compared pretty well considering. Not everyone wants all these additions (without the kids I wouldn't) so hopefully there's other options catering for that market.

cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Nenie23 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Hey Nige,

When you travel through the outback, you get caravan parks that offer entertainment. When we stayed at Winton, outback QLD, for about $15.00 per head (adults) we got a lovely meal and a show from an Outback Poet. It was fantastic as the meal was traditional meat and chicken baked dinner, but also offered a camel stew.

The bush poet was amazing and kept us entertained by the camp fire for hours with poems and yarns from times gone past.

Was well worth the experience, and one that my kids (7 & 5) are still talking about.
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Well heres an update! I finally found a powered campsite within 4hrs of Sydney for between Xmas & New Year, wasn't easy believe me. I ended up thinking I would pay whatever it costs!! Thankfully I have found somewhere for only $40/night, kids are free, which I think is very reasonable. I think that first park I rang must be THE most expensive park in NSW!!! It's in a nice spot close to Sydney and has become rather trendy for weekenders, so that might be why.

HG Monaro, you are right, when you compare motel rates, factoring in children and breakfast camping is much more reasonable. I would much rather a cabin in a caravan park as the caravan parks are much more family orientated with craft activities like you mentioned, plus the kids usually make friends with other campers etc, these are bonuses that you don't normally think of but make for a happier holiday.

Ozzy, self sufficiency is the way to go, I am not that brave with my little ones just yet but hopefully in a year or 2, we will be off to the bush and probably won't want to go back to parks, I do like the bush.

Thanks everyone for your tips! I am learning lots!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Well done mummee!

Where is it?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:07 pm

http://www.holidayhaven.com.au/Crookhaven/Default.asp

My first choice would of been something with quieter water but I have no choice, there is the lake/inlet area as well and if my 1yo screams like I expect him to at the beach we can always head there. I think the waves will scare him, he screams when my husband wheels the lawnmower out of the garage! But it is mostly for a test run of the camper. Really looking forward to it! It's a really big park so I expect there to be delays at the ammenities etc, but I imagine my youngest will be awake bright and early every day so I should beat the rest of the park to the showers!

I think I had better start thinking about booking next year's holiday LOL!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mytribe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:56 pm

I'd prefer to camp bush with no camping fee's than to pay an exorbitant amount.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby kezstar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm

:grin: Bush camping and being self sufficent is the way to go for us too...most of the time, but at Christmas we are splashing out and staying in a BIG4 park in Woodman point and yes it is costing us $50 a night for 2 adults and 4 kids!
I really don't think this is too bad as there is heaps of activities for the kids to do, and bush dances/poetry evenings and sausage sizzle lunches too, so for a special treat complete with showers and bbqs at Christmas I think its ok! After this though we are leaving to cross the N ull-a-BORE and back to our bush camping ways! Staying in a hotel with a family as big as ours can cost up to $400 a night so I think we will stick to camping!!!
I have recently bought the camps 3 book and it is Brilliant, and has become a very important item in our planning for our travells, I would definatley recomend it! You can't beat just getting out there and trying out different spots though!
Anyone have any recomendations for camp spots around Byron Bay near the beach? We would prefer bush camping but any parks that are great for kids and young families would be fabulous to know about...ta! 8)
Kez
kezstar :)
kezstar

Return to Camping Tips and Locations