Central Coast Camping Spots!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Central Coast Camping Spots!

Postby longjetty » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Hey there, I'm looking for some places on the Central Coast, where I can legally camp for free.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.
longjetty

Postby Gary's Family » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:47 am

I live on the Central Coast and we head up to Watagan Mt and camp in the State forest section (Pines, Turpentines, Basin) You can have a fire, take your dog and it's free. About an hour from Gosford.

Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Postby longjetty » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Thanks! that sounds good enough, is it very secluded? or will there normally be a few other campers etc there? i'm basically looking for anywhere I can go camp for a few days with some friends for free, but do you know of any other places, I just want to get a general selection of places I can go, I don't mind if you don't. because that place souinds really good anyway.
longjetty

Postby Gary's Family » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:55 am

There are the main camping areas in the Watagans and it depends on the time of year you go to how many people are up there. I would avoid public holiday weekends. It depends on what facilities you want, but you can always find a secluded spot with no facilities.

The National Parks nearby are the only other options I know, but they are not free. It depends how far you want to travel. The state forests around Buladelah are free and you can find a nice spot on the river (about 2.5hrs away) or Chitchester State Forest (about 3hrs away). I love the state forests because they are free, you can take the dog and have a fire.

Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am

If you go to Mt Watagan just get some topographic maps for the area and go cruising :armsup . Even if its a long weekend you should be able to find a failry secluded spot, but you'll still probably have people driving past occasionally. I've been there a few times and its great, but the main campgrounds get very busy.

In fact, pretty much any state forest should be similar. They are far less restrictive than NP's and dont generally have a 'crowd' problem cause there's no limits on where you can camp, so people tend to spread out a bit. You can get State forestry maps from your local map shop that will show you all the SF's in a given region, with details on whats there to do and see and what facilities if any are at each Forest. But they dont always show the smaller trails so its best to have this map to pic a forest, and then get topographic ones for the are you want to go to... or just forget the maps and go cruisin, get lost for the weekend, and then try and find your way home, could make it more interesting :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Gary's Family » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 am

Well said.

Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 pm

Patonga has a camping ground it is within walking distance to a general store and fish and chips but the area itself can get quite busy on a weekend. The camping ground is right on the water to.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby longjetty » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:51 am

Ahh, Thanks a million! This Watagan camping spot sounds perfect! Know where I could get directions?
longjetty

Watagans

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 pm

Best access to the Watagans via Martinsville Road from Cooranbong or Watagan Road from Quorrobolong. The Watagans are approximately a one hour and 15 minute drive from northern Sydney, a 30 minute drive from the central coast, 45 minutes from Newcastle or 25 minutes from Cessnock.

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/recreation/central_coast/watagan_mountains/default.asp
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Nenie23 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Well said guys. Our families have camped at the Watagans for years as well. Beautiful spot and even if there are other campers there, it is big enough to be able to get a spot to yourself. There are camping areas down near Turpentine Falls that are fairly secluded, have tables and chairs, drop toilets and lovely marked bush walks past the waterfall itself.

The only thing to add regarding the fire, is just ring up the Bush Fire Brigade before you go to check regarding fire bans, as from September on, it is fire season in the bush.

Nene
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby longjetty » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Last edited by longjetty on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longjetty

Postby longjetty » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:45 pm

Ok, my last question. If there was a medical emergency while camping is there easy access to a hospital/medical supplies/reception for ringing 000. My wife is known to have seizures occasionly, once before medical attention was needed to end the seizure, and on another occasion my son was bitten by a snake while we were camping. I'd just like make sure we will ba able to get mediacal attention if needed.
longjetty

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:39 pm

It much depends on where you camp. It's generally sketchy at best. I found (with optus) at the turpentines campground that I could recieve msgs, and I even recieved a phone call for about 7 secs, but could not dial out. Down the road, at a un-marked campsite on a ridge line I think I had reception most of the time.

At worst, from the designated campsites its about 5-10mins down the dirt road back towards Morriset till you start to get reception again.

No idea on where the closest hospital is but it would probly be atleast 30 mins away.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Nenie23 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Wyong Hospital would be your closest hospital - maybe 30 mins from the top of the forest. All depends on how far in you were.
You can get reception from Muirs Lookout - bout 10 mins from Turpentines falls (I think). Will check with hubby
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby longjetty » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm pretty sure you can dial 112 for medical help even when there is no reception. just depends on how long it takes for the ambo to get there. (30 mins)

Anyways, thankyou greatly for all your help, it's very much appreciated. I'm loo9king forward to a good camp session these holidays!
longjetty

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations