Camping and rain

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping and rain

Postby violetmay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:21 am

Hi There

I'm so disappointed, I was lucky enough to have a booking for Boreen Point this weekend, but by the looks of the weather forecasts (both BOM site and weatherzone) it is going to rain until next week, so I am going to have to cancel my camping trip. The Sunshine Coast forecast looks even worse than the Brisbane one.

I've been planning weekend camping trips for the last 6 or so weeks and it seems every weekend I have to cancel due to rain, sickness or some other issue. Just so disappointing.

I'm holding off ringing up and cancelling in the hope the weather changing, as I really want to go.

What do others do in this situation? Does anyone go camping when rain is predicted? Does everyone cancel their bookings when it rains? Is anyone else cancelling this weekend?

A very disappointed Violetmay from Brisbane
violetmay

Postby mytribe » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:07 am

I have a "no camping in rain" rule.

We're in Victoria, and we went camping at Easter when there was rain forecasted, him who shall remain nameless said it would be ok and just a few showers.

Well of course it pissed down, it was miserable. So we only ended up staying 2 nights, I woke him at 7am on the Sat morning told him he had another hour of sleeping and then he was getting up and we were going home. :lol:

Oh we're tent sleepers by the way, and take 4 of the kids camping with us, with the youngest turning 3 this week, trying to explain to a little girl to keep out of the rain was impossible.

Haven't been able to go camping at the moment, due to fires we've had where we normally camp, but we got the new camp kitchen yesterday so I'm champing at the bit to go again now.

(sorry for such a long winded reply :grin: )
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 am

I really wouldn't go camping in the rain on the Sunshine Coast those storms get really wild there. But I don;t mind camping in the rain especially during summer it cools everything down a lot :armsup but with kids it can get hard :(
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:33 am

Not too happy to get rained on in Winter but in the warmer months we still go out as it clears up pretty quickly over here.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby double_d » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:11 pm

i dont mind as long as i get a chance to pack up when its dry

i went to cotton tree a few months back fri arvo set up 2 x camper trailers and tent and tarp
had a few showers that night rained most of saturday but i didnt care
beautifull sunday when i packed up

still had a good weekend

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Tarps and Cards are your best friends when raining :armsup

Played ONE game of poker for 6hrs straight last sunday cause of the rain :mrgreen: . Time flew by, and the next day was sunny. Glad I didn't decide to pack up and head home. The is a pain in the bum, but doesn't mean you can't have a good time. Just means you need to be alot more organised and patient, and not afraid to get atleast a bit wet :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby gardenworm » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 am

yes camping in the wet is not much chop , however if as said the weather is not too windy or cold then it's not too bad.
I was so bent on a good weekend camping trip that we packed up while it was pooring rain and went camping .Later on that night it rained more and more untill we realized we were in the middle of a cyclone . Branches were coming down and tents went flying but our tent saw it through as we had a large fly over the hole tent and lots of ropes and springs. Yep it was a real test of being well prepaired. eh
n :# ot sure if I would to that again especially with the kids under 7 Y.O. :#
gardenworm
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:39 pm

im with you ozzy, cards come in handy even if it isnt raining but you did forget the most important thing, the scotch. :beer :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:50 pm

someone mention scotch? 8)

yerp, if it rains, we sit around with a few drinks or fifty hundred, then if it's still raining when we're concious again we go home :?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Scolers » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

We just got rained on in the middle of summer . bugga me what is Howard doing to camping?!!?!?!?!?!?

fortunately we headed off the nes=xt day but still have to elt the canvas out to dry ... that was a pain!

:-bang

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:13 am

Scolers wrote:We just got rained on in the middle of summer . bugga me what is Howard doing to camping?!!?!?!?!?!?

fortunately we headed off the nes=xt day but still have to elt the canvas out to dry ... that was a pain!

:-bang

Scol.

whet heave yuo bein dreinken wheen yuo wraot thet paost?

:lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:52 pm

I guess I should have edited that ... :booty :lol:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:33 pm

We got a little rain, mostly at night and just as we were packing up. The packing up bit was not fun, wet canvas yuk but we had to open it up when we got home anyway to repack, so not too much of a hassle. Not sure I would go with kids if I KNEW it was going to rain, especially with my littlest but those days are good for a shopping trip or a long drive I guess. The rain did dry up pretty quick and then it was a perfect day so perhaps not so bad in summer, I say GO!! Try then you'll know for next time :lol:

Geez just realised when you posted this (OK I am a bit slow)

SO DID YOU GO??
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby justme » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Yeah it's annoying when the rain hits, the week you plan to camp. We had to cancel our camping trip this year. Not much fun camping in the rain.

We went camping afew years back to Iluka and it rained the WHOLE week...we didn't want to pack up and come home early. So yeah I think we spent the whole week playing cards and drinking. Which we could've done at home anyway. Ohwell, it was fun anyway. Don't go camping anymore if the forcast is rain.
justme

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:45 pm

Thinking about it tho' if you do stay at home for your hols do you ever spend the whole time sitting down, playing cards and drinking? We usually end up doing jobs around the place and tends to be less than relaxing!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations