Camping and rain

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Komodo that's a really rotten trip, makes me feel kinda better, sorry 'bout that :( We are really not in a hurry to go camping again, which is not good. I forgot to mention the constipated 4yo, we spent more time in the amenities block than anywhere else, poor kid.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby JM1375 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:46 pm

mummeee74 wrote:OK I take back ALL my views on camping in the rain. We camped easter and while we were sitting eating dinner it was like being on the titanic the water was gushing in our annexe. All the kids shoes, gumboots, socks ended up wet, and keeping our 20mth old out of the rain was impossible. Paid $230 for the weekend and we could of taken them to the easter show instead. Very dissapointing won't be camping with kids in the rain again in a hurry. Our main sleeping area in the CT was dry though, but my kids are way to young to stay inside and play board games etc. Very challenging weekend and dare I say ALMOST makes me regret buying our CT (gasp!) :o

Sorry to hear that you nearly got washed away. We had some rain also on our camping trip, but while it was eventful, it didn't keep us indoor for long.

Better luck next time - you will have to try again!!! Can't waste that lovely camper trailer!! :grin:

Komodo - that story is hilarious.... (which I realise it wouldn't have been at the time).
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Tue May 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Don't give up on the camping yet Mummee. Must admit when we got caught our Easter 2006 and it rained the whole time, it was miserable as and I wasn't feeling well to add to it...but it hasn't put me off.

We just don't go when we know it's "more likely" to rain. If there's rain forecasted then we just don't go. I know how hard it is keeping a little one out of the rain.

But then it's not such a big financial drama if we only stay one or two nights, as we don't generally do "paid" camping.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby garbage » Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 pm

For all of you who don't go when it's forecast to rain, how do you handle the cancellations with the parks? Most of the national parks and caravan parks I've been to expect a deposit, if not, full up front payment.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Tue May 08, 2007 7:29 pm

We don't camp in National parks, or Caravan parks. We only do State forests and bush camping where we can take the dog, so there's no booking or cancellations to worry about :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 pm

I remember as a kid it rained solidly all day on one camping trip. My uncle having spent the same whole day spruiking how his new tent was made to counter the horrendous conditions of the himilaya's and would easily handle this weather. Next minute my aunt was complaining the same tent had leaked and there was water everywhere including the air mattress. "No worries" said my uncle, "we will dry it by the fire". I can still remember the echo off the nearby hills as the air bed exploded.
:-bang

Can I suggest a good camping location is Wivenhoe Dam in SE Qld (Brisbane's main water supply). It never rains there, and if it did you would bring so much joy to so many, and you would feel great.
:lol:

On the CT, we did get a storm on our last trip, and found you don't get a lot of protection from the rain in the awning part. I'm thinking a good enclosure would really help.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:03 pm

Yep we would of lost 50% for easter if we cancelled.

Ha TroyK that's funny, yes perhaps they would pay us if we brought the rain. Although our dam is not much better, rains in Sydney all around but somehow not over the dam???

We have walls on our awning/annexe but nothing would stop this rain it just washed underneath and then ofcourse it wouldn't dry out before it rained again, blurgh just thinking of the smell.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 am

It it's heavy steady rain it's actually nice under a well setup tarp. However if it's windy rain it's terrible wherever you are :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Wed May 09, 2007 7:02 pm

mummeee74 wrote:We have walls on our awning/annexe but nothing would stop this rain it just washed underneath and then ofcourse it wouldn't dry out before it rained again, blurgh just thinking of the smell.

Don't despair. Over time these bad trips turn into war stories around the campfire. You just need good camping trips in between. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Woodsy » Sun May 13, 2007 8:30 pm

When we went camping the first time it was forcast for rain. We setup late afternoon early evening as it started to shower. We put the fly on in what ever way we could and the weather changed from a shower to a bloody cyclone. I remember waking up with the side of the tent wacking me in the face from the wind and rain. It did'nt help that the camping site we were at had rather large over hanging branches which made for a "Great" Night sleep! :(

The main problem was that everything felt wet! I don't mind camping in the rain if we have the fly setup properly but how do you stop that wet feeling?

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 21, 2007 10:32 pm

aaaahhh! Camping in the rain - great experiences for campfire war stories!

My most memorable night's camping in the rain and wind was at Hervey Bay. DH had a flu, so was knocked out on Cold&Flu night tabs. He snored all night. I had morning sickness (I found out later) all night and couldn't sleep. So I spent the whole night in the almost dark watching and feeling the wet dome tent blow down onto us (It was 6ft high in the centre), before popping back up again. I thought we were going to take off in it! Terrifying!

Our worst weekend was in our new, super-sized family dome tent. We went to Mulwala for a 3 day weekend, and had torrential rain for the first half of it. We thought no worries in our flash new tent. Until we found out that it hadn't been waterproofed along the seams and the Bl**dy thing leaked like a sieve. The floor was nice and watertight though, we ended up just about swimming in it!
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby bennyballbag » Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 pm

if it rains when we go camping we try and have a fire as close as possible to the undercover area (without catching anything on fire) sit around a quietly get pissed. i know its hard for parents cos they have the young ones but me and my mates are all between 17 and 24 and only on has a kid but he doesnt bring him. we play drinking games and stuff. its awsome, but not as good as the dry.
bennyballbag
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations