Camping and rain

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:44 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Thinking about it tho' if you do stay at home for your hols do you ever spend the whole time sitting down, playing cards and drinking? We usually end up doing jobs around the place and tends to be less than relaxing!

Fun Police Alert!!!

:#

Scol.

(Apologies to Mummeee)
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 am

I don't get it scolers?????

What's wrong with sitting around playing snap and drinking iced tea????

:lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:33 am

Iced tea!?!?!!?

OK ... I have a confession ... I'm starting to get into iced tea ... those Lipton's one's a re yummy but expenisve (bought a small bottle at the movies yesterday for $4.20!)

Do you have a recipe Mummee or make it using sachets?

BTW

Not sure what the topic of this thread is anymore but as I was picked up for changing the topic on another thread feel free to PM me. Then again, whenever I sit around a campfire the topic does change ... frequently ... :armsup

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby amanda » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:27 pm

I agree. At least if you're camping and stuck in the rain you have nothing to do but relax - a few drinks, read a book, play some board games, snooze. At home you'd probably just sit and watch TV, and as you siad, do odd jobs and housework - not an ideal holiday.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Another thing I thought of, is nature can be just as entertaining IN the rain 8) . If its still warm wether, just raining, why not go for a bushwalk in the rain :idea: ITS AWESOME. Everyone's scared of this water falling from the sky, but why eh?? Just have a warm shower and change when you get back to camp.

Of course this might not be too practical if you got kids... i'd bet they'd love it though :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Yep I agree Ozzy a bushwalk in the rain is awesome, brings out the colours in the barks, great for photos. Older kids would be good if you have them in raincoats and gumboots = fun!

Scolers you are full of surprises!! I am giving up Diet Coke so I have bought some iced tea but haven't tried it yet (Nerada). I have been drinking soda water with ginger beer cordial - highly recommend! But I was given an iced tea recipe which is supposed to be great, I will dig it out for you.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Yep I agree Ozzy a bushwalk in the rain is awesome, brings out the colours in the barks, great for photos. Older kids would be good if you have them in raincoats and gumboots = fun!

Scolers you are full of surprises!! I am giving up Diet Coke so I have bought some iced tea but haven't tried it yet (Nerada). I have been drinking soda water with ginger beer cordial - highly recommend! But I was given an iced tea recipe which is supposed to be great, I will dig it out for you.

Thanks for that! I dont drink tea as a rule but iced tea is great in hot weather .. especially after I've put the CT up on a hot day.

:o

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby elpaulos » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Do they make alcoholic iced tea? Nah tea bag in the XXXX. Probably make it taste better.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:01 pm

I have no problem with camping in the rain if it's warm, but hey I live in Victoria, how often does that happen.

When it rains here it's usually freezing bloody cold :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 am

Because my kids are't normally allowed to run around in the rain (another Victorian!), when they do get to, they love it. We especially like having 'boat races' in streams of water running down the street gutters. Whenever we stop somewhere with a creek/river they want to 'select their weapon' (and terminology for finiding a stick/leaf/etc) and do these races.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:03 am

elpaulos its called a long island iced tea ;)

Iced tea is easy to make - get your self a pot of good tea that you like (I like English Breakfast) make up a hot pot and let it brew for a few minutes then pour it into a something (i use those glass bottles that V8 juice etc comes in) then add some cool water and refridgerate. Some people put sugar others honey i like it with a bit of lemon juice and in a couple of hours you have about 2 litres of the stuff. Just remember though that Tea like Coffee should always be drank with water at a ratio of 1.5 : 1 (water being the greater quantity) because Tea and coffee and dieretics thus they dehydrate you - not a good look if camping - especially if drinking alcohol also!

But back ON topic. Camping in the rain is fun. Though I dont know I would want to do it with kids younger than about 8-10. Grab a few extra changes of clothes and remember an extra tarp and line for hanging clothes up some where dry - its takes a while for them to dry but its all part of the fun.

Back when i was a scout there were 4 of us who went camping nearly every weekend. rain obviously never detired us (though quite often we ended up camping with no leaders cause they hated the rain). Mind you I was continually suffering with colds through those few years. Kids love the rain and to be honest once your in the rain its not that cold as long as you can get out of the rain and change into warm dry clothing your fine. and remember if you are letting the kids in the rain - coats might seem like a good idea but genereally shorts and a t-shirt work better because they dont keep the water on your body too long. its also easier to dry shorts and a tshirt than thick heavy clothes.

I couldnt tell you the nuber of times ive gone camping when theres been heaps of other campers around its rained over night and weve woken up with no campers around.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

love the rain

Postby twink13 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:51 am

We have camped every year since i was pregnant with our first(1993) & now we have 4 of them.If it's raining we put their raincoats on & let them go for it.I make sure there is always a warm bath or shower for them when they are finished.Mind you we have a huge tarp(36x36feet),so we are pretty much covered & yes we tent camp as well.We always make sure there is board games,colouring books & pens,cards & whatever else i can fit in the car(you know the stuff hubby doesn't see.....lol).We have set up & packed up in the rain ,so for us it doesn't matter. :grin:
twink13

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:51 pm

That's right , If it rains so be it , In years to come the kids will remember ' that camping trip' and laugh because something aways happens. Well it does to me anyway . :***
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:11 am

OK I take back ALL my views on camping in the rain. We camped easter and while we were sitting eating dinner it was like being on the titanic the water was gushing in our annexe. All the kids shoes, gumboots, socks ended up wet, and keeping our 20mth old out of the rain was impossible. Paid $230 for the weekend and we could of taken them to the easter show instead. Very dissapointing won't be camping with kids in the rain again in a hurry. Our main sleeping area in the CT was dry though, but my kids are way to young to stay inside and play board games etc. Very challenging weekend and dare I say ALMOST makes me regret buying our CT (gasp!) :o
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Tue May 08, 2007 11:34 am

Didn't I saw not under 8 - 10 years old :P

In years to come you'll laugh.

One of the worst camping trips Kel and I had was up at Eildon.

We got up really late because I got held up at the office till about 9 pm (the joys of being the manager and the bosses son...)
We set up in the rain - had a crap night sleep due to the fact that it was so dark we somehow managed to pick the WORST campsite in all the fraser camping grounds.
It proceeded to rain all saturday which wasnt too bad but we were waiting for about an hour to get a fire bin from the ranger (you have to hire them in certain campgrounds at eildon) well the ranger never turned up and in the last 15 minutes of waiting kel decided to down half a bottle of red then proceeded to drink more once we drove back to the camp site.

Then it happened - I sliced my thumb with a brand new knife right to the bone. Kel wasn't able to drive (Did i mention that she'd gotten stuck into a bottle of red? LOL) so i had to drive myself in the rain in an old range rover (which handled like a brick on wheels) with one hand clamped over the thumb on the other hand in the rain at night all the way into alexandra (about 30 minutes drive in those conditions).
Then just to add to the fun every bit of wild life in a 30km radius decided to jump onto the road and sit there!

We ended up finding a hospital at Alexandra (I knew there was one there cause mum had her apendix out there when she was a kid and her parents owned a boarding house up that way) but the hospital normally doesnt treat emergencies. Any how we ended up getting it stitched up that was another saga 6 stiches later we were heading back to camp LOL.

It was an interesting night. The doctor told me that I was less that a bees u know what from cutting through a nerve which would have me with a permanently numb thumb at best or possible an entire hand with no feeling! Eeeks!

At the time it was the most horrible camping trip ever - now we look back and laugh about it.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations