Camper trailer insurance

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Camper trailer insurance

Postby Hissy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Hello all you happy campers.

I am wondering do you have insurance on your camper trailers?

After all you may spend a lot of your hard earned money on something that can be damaged or run off with.

I have locks and an alarm on my trailer, do you?

As we are fitting a camper top to our trailer i have recently looked around at insurance.

Based on a trailer/camper valued at $8000 and contents e.g fridge, batteries $2000 i have been quoted $3 per week. $156 per year.

What do you think?

Am i being paranoid or just cautious?

As always looking forward to your comments.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:59 pm

Sounds good to me.

Does that include cover off road? (ie should you happen to end up over an edge off road - its happened to freinds of ours). I know a lot of car insurance doesnt cover you off road...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Ours is covered under the house and car insurance. we don't pay any extra it's just covered. How do you put an alarm on a CT?

I have pad locks on the rear door and for the ice chests.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Alarmed CT

Postby Hissy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:16 am

Fitting the alarm was easy.

My/Our trailer has a minimum of two 100amp batteries in the tool box up front. This supplies power for the lighting, fridge, reversing light etc.

During winter when the trailer is not being used i pull out the batteries and they are charged via solar panels in the shed.

The alarm is still powered by some backup gel cells.

When the kids kick the ball around the yard sometimes the trailer gets hit and the alarm screams its head off. You should see the kids scramble for the remote. Don't want to get the neighbours off side.

Will soon be posting some pics of the trailer, keep your eyes open for the "Hissy's rebuild" post.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Return to Groups & Activities