Not jumping on any band wagon so to speak but just updating a few issues -
- Patrol's have no automatic 4.2ltr turbo diesel GU's
- Landcruiser's have LSD , but not as good as the Patrols
- Landcruiser front diffs are the same size as the Hilux's but have different internels so they operate a bit different .
- Reason why the front diffs are smaller - [apart from cost-cutting across vehicle ranges] all the full time model Landcruisers need a smaller diff [then a GQ/Gu's] to compansate for the power loss of all wheel drive.
- IFS 100Series Landcruisers will do appox 95-98% of what most owners will ever want & can be easy made tuffer - eg - lift,diff drop kit etc. A lot of the knockers don't own an IFS vehicle & most don't like to accept change , if your not into compatition 4WDing or just hard core rock crawling - then an IFS 100Series with twin lockers will go just as far as any 2 inch lifted 80Series,100Series [Live axel] ,GQ/GU or Land Rover/Rangie with twin lockers .
In general with the comments in previous posts -
Yes Patrols have strong underpinnings , 4.2 diesel is reliable but not a great spark , 3'0ltr Gu have had quite a few piston issues + other things .
Landcruisers - yeah could be a bit tougher underneath for some , but great motors & build quality & resale etc .
Both vehicles in general very reliable with great aftermarket products for them .
Being involved with 4WD Clubs for a while & try not to be bias with any brand - all I can say is - "Get out there & use them whatever you got