Quick overview oof Camping in Australia. please?

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Quick overview oof Camping in Australia. please?

Postby tex webber » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:18 pm

I am coming to Australia in about a month or so and I am not exactly sure where to fly into because i have just now started researching Camping Australia. I am looking to camp around a portion of Australia that is comfortable to cover in about 2 1/2 weeks. My wife and I will probably be taking public transportation once in the country. She likes to hike and I love to go to the beach. However, i would love something to accomodate both of us. We will be carrying a tent and backpacks and looking for places to camp or maybe some cheap bungalows when she is tired of sleeping in the tent.
Here is the deal, I have not the slighest idea where to even go but I can plan that all out in the next month. Where is the best place to fly into to start my trip. I will probably depart from the same place but maybe not if there is a better option.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanx,
Crazy Ass Texan
p.s. I am flying from Malaysia so that might make a difference as to where I should fly into. peace
tex webber

Camping Overview

Postby Cheiffy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:22 am

G'day ya Crazy Ass Texan,

Try looking at a coach trip from Melbourne to Cairns with stops in between. You could find campsites along the way or stay at backpacker hostels instead.
If you like the beach and want to spend time in one area, you may want to go to one of the islands in Moreton Bay, or just hang around the Gold Coast (Queensland). There are some awesome bushwalks in the hinterland area of the Gold Coast as well.
Your only problem is trying to cram too much into 2 1/2 weeks. Australia is an enourmous place and without a vehicle of your own, your options are limited. Check out some of the government tourism websites, these are only biased towards their particular states. Hopefully these will give you an clearer idea as too what you want to see and do.
Let me know if you want any more info.

Cheers

8) Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Azuriel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:47 pm

hey there,

there's a pretty awesome 2/3-day walk on Hinchinbrook Island, that i did with my gf a few years back ... most guidebooks will tell you it takes 4 days, but at a total of 32km, we took 3 very leisurely days with lots of swimming and snorkelling ... great walking, rocky scramples to explore, lots of beaches to walk along if the track (a lot of which follows the coast not far inland from the beach in any case) gets boring ...

however, you will need to book this in advance, especially during the upcoming x-mas, period, since the national parks ppl have a very strict quota on the number of walkers/campers allowed on the island each day ...

anyways, enough of me rambling on ... but if you & your wife enjoy walking in places with deserted tropical beaches, clear blue water, reefs with tropical feesh close by, waterfalls and freshwater swimming holes a short walk inland, then this walk is a must ...

For info about this walk, you can talk to the people at the Reef & Rainforest Information Centre (+61 07 4066 8601) in Cardwell, which is the nearest mainland town to Hinchinbrook Island ... Also the local office of the Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service can be reached on (+61 07 4776 1770) ...

Another personal favourite in Q'sland is the 2/3-day walk at Mt. Bartle Frere, which is only a short drive out from Cairns ... great views, although the last bit is kinda steep ...
Azuriel
Boy Scout

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.