new to camping

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

new to camping

Postby julie t » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am

My teenage children have convinced me to take them camping in a caravan park on the mid north coast of nsw over the summer break. I have booked a powered site. What advice can you give me regarding tents and equipment. I have purchased nothing at the moment and dont really have much of an idea about what our needs will be as we have never camped before. Can some one help???????? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Many thank Julie
julie t

Re: new to camping

Postby stevo. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Welcome to the site Julie!

holy moly, you're jumping in at the deep end! Do you have any gear? It will be exspensive to get all the gear together, so i hope you really like camping because you wouldn't want to buy it all then hate it! It's usually best if you can go along with people that have all the gear and see what works and what doesn't for you.

For example, you want a tent, chairs, tables, lights, esky/fridge, tarps etc etc, it all adds up and before you know it you've spent thousands. Is that ok?

We could tell you what you need but i'd hate for you to go out and buy it all then really hate it because it rained and there were too many flies, too much noise etc etc.

This could be interesting! :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby mytribe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 pm

I would suggest that finding a hire store with what you need/have in mind is your best bet. Not sure if you have an Anaconda store near you, but they used to hire equipment out(not sure if they still do).

Like Stevo said, this could be interesting :cheers
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby padfoot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi Julie,

I think Stevo is right.

Can you borrow or hire some gear and go for a long weekend first? Then you can decide if you want to go the whole hog or you can go down the second hand path. If you are in major city then gumtree.com.au is a great place for second hand gear as backpackers heading off home flog their gear on there.

I am fairly lazy so after doing the dome tent thing I bought an oztent. Its great as it goes up in 5 minutes, the trade off it isn't very big once up and folds down to the size of a small elephant.

My general rule for camping is a good nights sleep. Everybody is then happy and friendly and ready to enjoy the day. Sleep deprived people are cranky. I use stretcher beds and/or foam mattresses but other people like airbeds. Airbeds are cheap too.

If you stay in a caravan park you may not need a stove as there may be a camp kitchen or bbq's. You will still need all your utensils though. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time as I really love getting back to basics and seeing places I couldn't afford to see otherwise.

enjoy
Annette
padfoot
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 am

When we get people who are new to camping...or...its their first time and they are not sure what they will need.....Theres quite a few camps now offering a ''Glamping' service where the 'newbie' just 'turns up' and everything is laid on for them from tents to cooking gear....
Great way to see if they may enjoy camping ...with nothing lost if they don't. :)

:cheers
Last edited by Rosco1 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 pm

What you talkin bout Willis? What's 12 months old?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.