Camping Disasters

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camping Disasters

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Have you had a terrible trip away? What happened and what did you learn to do differently for next time?

We went away at easter and our annexe was flooded, next time I will pick the high ground when choosing a camping spot, also take a million pairs of socks and shoes for the kids and a hairdryer to dry stuff would of been handy. Also need to add something to the first aid kit to relieve constipation in toddlers, I have never spent so much time in an amenities block LOL And lastly I think we will give up on camping at Easter, it does always seem to rain!

Oh and thanks Komodo for inspiring this thread!! (Paste your story here!)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mytribe » Tue May 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Last easter, it rained, we were meant to be staying 4 nights only ended up staying 2.

The rain wasn't too bad, except the youngest wouldn't stay under cover but I had gastro so was feeling crap as, I spent a lot of time in the loo as well, and you know what, pit toilet's just aren't that crash hot when you've got the runs :***

What would we have done differently, not gone away that's what. As I said in your other thread, if it's forecasted to rain then there's no camping happening. It was just a miserable weekend and I'd prefer to avoid it in future.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Tue May 08, 2007 7:18 pm

Well ive been told by mummeee to post my story from the other thread here so :

One of the worst camping trips Kel and I had was up at Eildon.

We got up really late because I got held up at the office till about 9 pm (the joys of being the manager and the bosses son...)
We set up in the rain - had a crap night sleep due to the fact that it was so dark we somehow managed to pick the WORST campsite in all the fraser camping grounds.
It proceeded to rain all saturday which wasnt too bad but we were waiting for about an hour to get a fire bin from the ranger (you have to hire them in certain campgrounds at eildon) well the ranger never turned up and in the last 15 minutes of waiting kel decided to down half a bottle of red then proceeded to drink more once we drove back to the camp site.

Then it happened - I sliced my thumb with a brand new knife right to the bone. Kel wasn't able to drive (Did i mention that she'd gotten stuck into a bottle of red? LOL) so i had to drive myself in the rain in an old range rover (which handled like a brick on wheels) with one hand clamped over the thumb on the other hand in the rain at night all the way into alexandra (about 30 minutes drive in those conditions).
Then just to add to the fun every bit of wild life in a 30km radius decided to jump onto the road and sit there!

We ended up finding a hospital at Alexandra (I knew there was one there cause mum had her apendix out there when she was a kid and her parents owned a boarding house up that way) but the hospital normally doesnt treat emergencies. Any how we ended up getting it stitched up that was another saga 6 stiches later we were heading back to camp LOL.

It was an interesting night. The doctor told me that I was less that a bees u know what from cutting through a nerve which would have me with a permanently numb thumb at best or possible an entire hand with no feeling! Eeeks!

At the time it was the most horrible camping trip ever - now we look back and laugh about it.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Oh mytribe that's awful, I agree if the forecast is rain we will be seriously considering cancelling.

Komodo you reminded me of another weekend we went away we set up in the dark, found out in the morning we must of been on top of an ants nest, they were all over the tent, lucky they didn't get into the CT part or the food boxes though. Also our site was like a mini mountain, which we have found doesn't work very well in a CT, the only site in the park that wasn't flat!!

Oh the joys!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby jasonb » Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 pm

we went camping a few years ago up at nundle fossiking for gold ,as we got there the missus said it looks like rain ,i said nah she'll be right and she got a little worried because where we usually set up camp is on the edge of the river ,so i said allright we'll go back about 20 yards and set up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well did i eat my words about 2 hours after we set up there was 4 inchs of rain and if you know the nundle area its surrounded by huge mountains,the water ended up rising and stopped about 4 foot from our camp ,,,see trust the missus cause she knows :***
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 pm

I had this one - (which was posted in another similar thread)......
Another Easter W/End experience - which seems to be the pattern here...

We woke up to a downpour. Everything was saturated. Within 30mins tents were now becoming flooded (the water was starting to rise to the doors of my car) All our stuff was outside. I was camping with my 1st son and 2 other couples and their kids. All of our chairs BBQ's tables etc were out and not under any cover.
We had to move all the kids to 1 tent and proceed to pack everything. Once the last tent was ready to come down we had to put the kids into the cars (oh yeah they loved that!) Everything went into our cars saturated, the tents were packed up saturated. Once packed up we all stood around in the pouring rain laughed for a few minutes at the situation and went on our merry way home!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 3:57 pm

As nasty as that sounds i reckon it'd be great fun :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Gee they're all rain stories. ;) Who would have guessed. :armsup Actually I've had lots of great times out in the bush when it's raining as much as when it's dry. I used to run skirmish games up in the Wombat Ranges State Forest near Blackwood and we played there rain hail or shine. I got very good at finding dry tinder in the worst of rains and lighting it. The other guys learned that if they gave me a bit of space they'd be a lot warmer for it with just a little bit of patience. :grin: Having the right gear is the important thing, it is possible to stay dry regardless of what mother nature throws at you.

Having said that, my worst trip was because of rain too. :armsup It was long long ago when I was only 18. I was doing a year long Horticulture course through Centrelink with a bunch of other losers who couldn't find a job. :$ haw haw

Anyway, we'd had a mildly successful though also wet trip to Wilson's Prom earlier in the year so the teachers got very brave and planned a trip to Lake Tali Carn up in the Vic Snowy Mountains for our end of year trip. Awesome country up there. I think the hike was something like 6 hours from the car to the lake where we were planning to camp. It was a gorgeous day, but being so high up there was snow on the ground in places, so it was a bit chilly. (We were technically in blizzard season though there are only two months that aren't up there so we didn't think much about that.) About 4 hours into the march one of the girls turned her ankle. We stopped of course and they started to pull her boot off to check it. I suggested we stop for lunch and rest it, then see if it's okay to walk on in an hour or so, but not to take the boot off right away in case swelling set in and she couldn't get it back on.. I was only young and new to the game but I still think it would have been the best idea, and would have saved a lot of heartache later on... But noooo... You wouldn't believe the glaring eyes that were aimed at me! How callous of me to suggest such a thing, they told me we were obviously camping right where we were and went ahead and whipped off the boot.

It seems so much like amateur hour looking back but I was young, what did I know? Anyway, we spent the rest of the day right there and enjoyed a nice night around the campfire. Then the next day there was debate about how to best utilise the rest of the time we had, so after a bad vote the concensus is to walk ahead to the lake without packs, then come back to the camp before dark... (anyone getting any warning signals yet? hehe) So we do that, with maybe two or three grumbling about it being a bad idea. I was one but can't remember my arguments, another was a part time army guy who took his pack with him anyway. I had an army webbing type belt setup with enough gear for me to survive for a while if necessary so I didn't take mine. The rest of the group took bugger all basically, a picnic lunch for the lake but that's about it. 8)

Well, things went pretty well until we got to the ridge above the lake. The lake itself is surrounded on all sides by mountains, and is absolutely gorgeous.. (If you are fit and like that kind of thing it's well worth the walk. :) Just go in December or January if you don't like cold and rain. :lol:) We started walking down the path to the lake and another girl in the group started wigging out. She must have had some kind of phobia trip coz she was just convinced she wouldn't be able to get out again once she got to the bottom, so each step became harder and harder for her. We should have listened to her, but instead we all coaxed her on, and one of the teachers sent the rest of us ahead and stayed behind with the girl talking her in to going on.

So eventually she got down and we had our picnic and enjoyed the scenery. These days I would have had a swim in spite of the cold but I wasn't that keen back then. 8) So time is getting on and we decide to head back to the camp. And you guessed it the girl who had calmed down by now completely wigged out again and refused to go back up the daunting hill.

Being a while ago I can't remember the exact timing of things but I think it was about now the rain started. Our teachers' wisdom at this point was to split up the group and send some of us on ahead back to our camp. Both teachers stayed back and tried to talk the girl around while four or five of us headed back up the hill to camp.

By the time we got to the top of the hill it was a continuous downpour and when we got back on the main track it was like a little creek. Of course with the rain came the temperature drop as well. Then I made my first mistake, because I wasn't that cold myself with the hiking I had just had my jacket hanging loosely over my webbing. The result was that the jacket quickly got soaked through whereas if I'd been wearing it properly the waterproofing would probably have held. So instead of being now a bit warm from hiking I was now getting much much cooler. By the time we got back to camp I was mildly hypothermic, teeth chattering quite dazed etc. The others weren't much better though the army reserve guy would never have admitted it. :)

I set up my tent-fly which was all I used to camp with and about dusk one of the teachers finally arrived saying that they had not been able to convince the girl to climb back up the hill and that we had to walk out and call emergency services to go get her. It was lucky that there were other campers at the lake that could 'put them up' for the night in the meantime.

So the next day we hike out and call the emergency services while the rain continues on. When they got there they warned us they would most likely not be able to get their four wheel drives even to the top of the lake walking track due to the volume of rain and the condition of the paths. As it turned out though they had gone as far as they could when they met our other group walking out! :lol: hehe they were a bit put out that their helpless victims were on their way out on their own, but I guess they wouldn't have enjoyed slogging their way back up the hill with her on a stretcher so I guess it worked out okay. :)

We all piled back in the bus and the girl was treated at Gippsland Hospital for mild hypothermia so had to wait an hour or two for her temp to normalise before we went home.

So that was my worst camping trip. :) Funnily enough though I didn't mind it too much myself. I was young and selfish back then so had very little tolerance for the girls who had 'destroyed the trip' for us. hehe

And anyway I did learn a lot from the experience and nobody was hurt so though it was a disaster was it was still damn good fun!
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Geez all these stories made my weekend look fun :lol:

Fonty I wonder how many others from your trip have ever been camping again?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 am

Lake Tali Carn is an awesome hike I've done it twice! but it is easy to get caught in the wrong kind of weather up there
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camping Disasters

Postby markcrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 am

I was going to start a new topic but did a search and found this old post so thought I would re-instate it...

Anybody got any good stories around camping disasters :-bang ?

We have had fairly trouble free camping, occasional extreme weather - strong winds, lots of rain, we have broken a pole while watching other tents getting blown away. We left a day early this weekend due to inclement weather (we must be getting soft!) and offensive noisy neighbours. :beer

But we haven't had any real disasters... touch wood!

This original post is 3 years old so somebody must have some tales to tell, so come on spill the beans...
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:33 am

Good call Mark....I personally can't say I have had any disasters either.....yes a couple of irritants but nothing that would qualify as a disaster.

Well maybe none that were big enough for me to remember!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby The Phantom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Disasters!!!
How about; Yamba a few xmas's, (maybe more when i think about it), ago with ankle deep water flowing thru the tent, lucky it didn't get into the bedroom. (Not once but twice in 3 weeks).
How about; Eucumbene a couple of winters ago having to get towed out from the foreshores after a night of snow.
How about; last year at Lake Borumba with a tent full of water after being smashed by a thunderstorm. Wife spent most of the stom hiding in the toilet block.
How about another time at Eucumbeme when after an overnight storm the 16ft cabin crusier which had been pulled up on the bank was fill of water with waves breaking over the stern. Took another day for the waves to drop & bail the boat out.
How about; no it's time to stop. After 40 years camping there have been many disasters, however, they are the ones that tend to be remembererd.
The Phantom
The Phantom
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Now there's a thought.......I do remember some pretty horrible storms whilst camping at the coast over xmas a number of years ago but to me they are not disasters....nobody got hurt and the damage done to the tent could be fixed. It is probably the reason I stopped camping on the beach over xmas....but still not a disaster IMO.

Maybe it depends on your definition of the term 'disaster'...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:54 pm

The Phantom wrote:Disasters!!!
How about; Yamba a few xmas's, (maybe more when i think about it), ago with ankle deep water flowing thru the tent, lucky it didn't get into the bedroom. (Not once but twice in 3 weeks).
How about; Eucumbene a couple of winters ago having to get towed out from the foreshores after a night of snow.
How about; last year at Lake Borumba with a tent full of water after being smashed by a thunderstorm. Wife spent most of the stom hiding in the toilet block.
How about another time at Eucumbeme when after an overnight storm the 16ft cabin crusier which had been pulled up on the bank was fill of water with waves breaking over the stern. Took another day for the waves to drop & bail the boat out.
How about; no it's time to stop. After 40 years camping there have been many disasters, however, they are the ones that tend to be remembererd.

Have these stopped you camping tho? :grin: :grin:
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat