Camping Disasters

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Camping Disasters

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I reckon it would have to be a pretty terrible thing to put seasoned campers off Titch.

Let's hope it never happens to anyone here.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Maybe I'm lucky or just well prepared that I havn't any horror stories to tell. Only funny one's.

Maybe when I was 7 years old camping at Wyangala Dam. A midnight torrential downpour almost caved in our mammoth tent. To this day I have never seen a storm like that. My dad had to get out the pick and dig deeper trenches and re-tighten the guy ropes then help out our neighbours. I enjoyed the storm, probably because I was still dry. :)

Or another time at the dam when the weather turned very foul VERY quickly, I never knew a lake could have surfable waves. It had flooded our boat and it was being smashed up against the rocks. We were retreated to the community hall only to see dad through the window on a kamikazee mission to make it to the boat ramp before it sunk.

Maybe when I was about 16, again at Wyangala but along with my brother and some crazy drunk nutters from Conowindra. I had to sleep in the back seat of a ford laser for 3 nights because one of them spewed on my bed. Ontop of that the back seat was loose and I kept slipping off. But wait there's more, my brother would set off the alarm just as I did get some sort of sleep.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 pm

We had hired a caravan for the first time. Dad drove down to Moruya Heads from Sydney. Parked the van near a tree, parked the car (a ‘55 Ford Zephyr) between tree and van.

Four am - the 17 year-old driving expert returned from dropping off Dad at his fishing group.

The driving expert wheeled the unwieldy Zephyr between the tree and the caravan. Naturally it was too fast an entrance; naturally the front of the car clipped the caravan. Van rocked fascinatingly ... I burst into helpless laughter. Mum had a few choice words to say (at 4am voices carry!). Recovering sufficiently to back the car off the van ... Mum had got back into bed ... van rocked, Mum got chucked on the floor again. By this time I was paralytic with laughter.

Dad although a forgiving character in many ways, insisted I repay the 20 pounds deposit. Not sure why we never hired another caravan ...

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Lin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

It says a lot about the people who come here that none of that has negatively influenced their love of camping and the great outdoors. :)

My worst camping weekend was when I took my then 3.5yo daughter camping at Mystery Bay for the Easter weekend. It rained all day and all night for 3 out of the 4 days we were there. I'd squeezed our tent in between 2 trees because I absolutely wanted ocean views. The views were awesome, but the tent was on such an angle that I kept rolling off my mattress. And then my daughter decided to forget about the whole toilet training thing and started wetting her pants every couple of hours. I'd only brought like 3 pairs of pants and there was no way to get them dry in that weather. I felt absolutely miserable. We packed up in the rain and were very glad to be home.

I also camped in Belgium once for a week with 2 of my sisters and their kids and we had 1 day without rain. I'd insisted on camping at the bottom of the camping ground, near the creek. I think I'd left Belgium too long ago to remember it is a VERY wet country. One night - when it had been raining heavily for hours - the drain on the road in front of our tent started overflowing at about midnight. My sister and I stood under the tent awning for ages watching the water inch closer and closer to the tent. We put the edges of the tarp that was the annex floor up, got all things that shouldn't get wet off the floor and that was all we could do. After a while walking on the annex floor felt like walking on a water bed! There were at least 2 inches of water under there. Then I lay in bed listening to the water rushing to the creek and got convinced that it would flood. I kept running the scenario in my head, imagining how I would save myself and my daughter if we would get flooded out of the tent. Fortunately, the creek 'only' rose to about 1 inch from it's edge. That same trip was a bit of a nightmare in other ways too, mainly my other sister and her husband and kids having a VERY different idea of what camping is about.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 pm

It must be something about Wyangala Dam Dave as we have had a few shockers out there.

We were with two other couples out there a couple of years ago and me and one of the other wives headed out with the kids(5), a couple of dogs & with both utes chokkas and I was towing the porta loo as we all chucked in for one for the weekend as one of the other wives wasn't doing the shovel thing :lol:

Well getting into Markhams was pretty rough and I nearly tipped the dunny over ::()

Us two girls took a couple of hours setting up both tents, food tent, massive tarp over the two tents(30' x 30') which we nicknamed the "taj mahal". We were very proud of ourselves getting it all up before the hubby's and other family got there, in the meantime the kids had made themselves into mud monsters and had found 17 baby turtles and a dead carp so they were filthy and stunk but hay we were camping and we had the portable showers on the ute bonnets to heat up ready to de-stink them. Our other friends arrived and put up their tent and another big tarp.

By the time our hubby's got out there with the boats it was just starting to sprinkle but being guys they told us that there was nothing in it and to stop worrying, within ten minutes of enlightening us with their words of wisdom we had lightening, thunder and howling wind and rain not to mention screaming kids. We were all running around trying to get all the stuff from the food tent under the tarp only for the tarp to take flight (even though it had been thouroughly checked by both hubby's and was up to it.) Tent poles were flying through the air and we were then moving all the food tent under the other tarp and getting drenched from the rain puddles that would drain off the big tarp straight down our backs each time we went under it. The hubby's started digging some trenches around the tents to stop the flow of water and then kids decided they were hungry and wanted two minute noodles for tea but by that stage we were soaked and buggered so it was ham sambos all round for the kids and we decided that we then needed a serious drink. So there we sat and watched the storm rage around us while sipping our wines/beers :cheers
Next morning we cleaned all the mud off everything and started again. We ended up having a great weekend but very memorable. Still laugh about it today :beer
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote: Still laugh about it today

That's what it is all about, hey XB?????
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Sure is Gypsy. ::)

Beats crying.... :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat